Washington Co Hog Bounty........ Texas, not Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You Dewyites and Bartians.............let the craziness begin! lol Be sure to read the comments.

http://kwhi.com/washington-county-hog-out-program-begins-saturday/

Washington County will pay a bounty on feral hogs beginning this Saturday.
kwhi.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_04_Feral_Hog_feature1_630x300.jpg

The bounty program will pay $5 for every killed hog. Participants in the program must bring both ears of the hog (still attached to the scalp) to the Washington County Fairgrounds rabbit barn on the first Friday of every month from 9 a.m. until 11 a.m.

Washington County accepted a grant for $15,000 in August from the Texas Department of Agriculture’s “Hog Out” program, which offers funding for the bounty and educational programs. The program this year will extend until May 31st 2017, or until the funds are exhausted.

Participants will be eligible for a bounty contest which awards prizes to the top five individuals who turn in the most ears during the program period. The cash awards are:

1st place- $1,250

2nd place- $1,000

3rd place- $750

4th place- $250

The estimated 2.6 million wild hogs in Texas are estimated to cause $52 million in agricultural damage, with landowners spending an additional $7 million to control pigs and/or correct damage annually.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the helicopter hog hunting outfits will probably "win". Kinda interesting they're offering a bounty for them.

Funny story...they used to offer a bounty on Coyotes in Nebraska and you had to do the same, bring the ears in. My great grandpa shot one and when he went to retrieve it...both ears were gone and scabbed over. Someone else had previously shot it and scalped the ears off but it did not kill it. He had to take the whole animal in to make get the bounty. It made the local paper, too.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny story...they used to offer a bounty on Coyotes in Nebraska and you had to do the same, bring the ears in. My great grandpa shot one and when he went to retrieve it...both ears were gone and scabbed over. Someone else had previously shot it and scalped the ears off but it did not kill it. He had to take the whole animal in to make get the bounty. It made the local paper, too.

That's horrible. Oh my God.

Glad to see the bounty.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of the helicopter hog hunting outfits will probably "win". Kinda interesting they're offering a bounty for them.

Man, that wasn't good for that coyote.
I grew up in Osage Country where fences were rare back in the day. What ones there were, ran along side the county roads.
When a kid, they had a $7 bounty on coyotes. Feds put it on, so everybody with a horse, mule and a pack of greyhounds went out coyote hunting. There were miles of fence along the roads that had earless coyotes hung from every fence post. Government trappers put out cyanide pellets in meat to get them to eat it. It was whole house slaughter.
That entire effort did nothing to stop the coyote population in Osage county. Slowed them down for a bit, but they just became smarter.
This pig eradication without trapping is another boondoggle. It won't slow them down at all.
The comments in the hog eradication notice prove that 99% of them have no idea about hog habits and they can't just go to a location and mow them down for the freezer.
Trappers and Helo eradication will slow them down.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, that wasn't good for that coyote.
I grew up in Osage Country where fences were rare back in the day. What ones there were, ran along side the county roads.
When a kid, they had a $7 bounty on coyotes. Feds put it on, so everybody with a horse, mule and a pack of greyhounds went out coyote hunting. There were miles of fence along the roads that had earless coyotes hung from every fence post. Government trappers put out cyanide pellets in meat to get them to eat it. It was whole house slaughter.
That entire effort did nothing to stop the coyote population in Osage county. Slowed them down for a bit, but they just became smarter.
This pig eradication without trapping is another boondoggle. It won't slow them down at all.
The comments in the hog eradication notice prove that 99% of them have no idea about hog habits and they can't just go to a location and mow them down for the freezer.
Trappers and Helo eradication will slow them down.
Dennis, Maybe it will get several thousand people out hunting that haven't been in years or newbies that have never been before.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis, Maybe it will get several thousand people out hunting that haven't been in years or newbies that have never been before.
I don't know about Tx, but in Oklahoma it seems the landowners protect the pigs more than the deer in some cases. Seems like the ODW does too since they outlawed bait on public grounds. I now the bait on public was because of fights over whose pile it was, but a ton of pigs that were getting trapped on Kaw got shut down by that reg.
I had co-workers that did nothing but complain about their land/yard getting destroyed by pigs, but when you asked to trap or shoot, they quit talking to you about it.

Its a double edged sword to let people that have never hunted before on your private land. We all want to see new hunters, and see new opportunities for experienced hunters, but as a landowner, there are a lot of stories to be told about allowing the general public on to your land unfettered. it rarely turns out well.

The Nobel Foundation put up a list a few years back asking if landowners wanted hunters to help eradicate their hogs. We had a thread on it. Zero landowners put their property on the list.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom