Washington Co Hog Bounty........ Texas, not Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allowing the transporting and sale of live pigs actually decreases the population of pigs in the wild.
How so? Are you thinking that allowing people to profit off the capture of pigs is helping?

My line of thought is that it only allows the introduction of pigs into new areas, or increase their population in the area they're sold to.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just not seeing how allowing the sale of hogs is decreasing the population. Sure, you may trap and remove from an area, but you're then allowing them to be introduced in that same number, elsewhere. You won't have trapped 100% of the hogs in the original area and you're guaranteeing that hogs will now be "X" number in the new area with a substantial likelihood that 75% of them are sexually mature and able to start increasing the population in the new area.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Their sold to licensed hi fence facilities that have been inspected by the state and are killed in one way or another. They are not released into the wild. When their bringing $.50 per lb there are a lot of wild pigs being removed from the actual wild free range and being sold into controlled environments. There are a lot of pigs that are caught because of that one reason that would remain in the wild and alive to breed if you werent allowed to transport and sell them. Believe me, when I had a buyer, I caught and trapped a lot of pigs. Its payed for a lot of Christmases around here. The laws keep getting stricter so I have completely stopped trapping and catching them and have sold all my dogs. I know a lot of people that have quit for the same reason. Just in my area thats a whole lot of pigs per year that will now go unchecked.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has been a lot of speculation that the hi fence hog hunts in Pawnee were the cause of the spike in hog populations in that county.
The owner wasn't very good at maintaining his fences allowing some to escape, and we all know what happens then.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ag department has gotten pretty strict in the last few years and they have to be licensed and inspected so its better now than it was for sure. And their paying so much for pigs now they cant let money excape.

Latest posts

Top Bottom