Washington Co Hog Bounty........ Texas, not Oklahoma........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, that wasn't good for that coyote.
I grew up in Osage Country where fences were rare back in the day. What ones there were, ran along side the county roads.
When a kid, they had a $7 bounty on coyotes. Feds put it on, so everybody with a horse, mule and a pack of greyhounds went out coyote hunting. There were miles of fence along the roads that had earless coyotes hung from every fence post. Government trappers put out cyanide pellets in meat to get them to eat it. It was whole house slaughter.
That entire effort did nothing to stop the coyote population in Osage county. Slowed them down for a bit, but they just became smarter.
This pig eradication without trapping is another boondoggle. It won't slow them down at all.
The comments in the hog eradication notice prove that 99% of them have no idea about hog habits and they can't just go to a location and mow them down for the freezer.
Trappers and Helo eradication will slow them down.

Back in the 70's and early 80's, we bird hunted on some family land south of Jet, and almost every trip we'd run into the coyote hunters. I thought that was the coolest thing ever to watch the greyhounds run.

As a whole "hog hunting" is a joke. I know dozens of guys that spend a small fortune on dog food and vet bills, so they can run hogs with dogs. The bad part is all most of them do is "run" them. Very few of the hog dog hunters (I know) ever catch a hog, but by golly, they have all the gps tracking collars, fancy dog boxes, and tricked out Rangers to look like they know what they're doing.:screwy:

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had some real country boys that trapped them and used dogs. Very successful but a butt load of work. These hogs are smart and will get mean as hell when you box them in (if you can box them in). We put out corn and and a game camera to get them coming in on a regular basis. Pick a nigh that looks good and set up. Three guys with AK's and 308's. When you hit them, you had better be on target, you only get one try because they are quick. After your done, those hogs you missed will not come back to that spot. Others will, but probably not those.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in the 70's and early 80's, we bird hunted on some family land south of Jet, and almost every trip we'd run into the coyote hunters. I thought that was the coolest thing ever to watch the greyhounds run.

As a whole "hog hunting" is a joke. I know dozens of guys that spend a small fortune on dog food and vet bills, so they can run hogs with dogs. The bad part is all most of them do is "run" them. Very few of the hog dog hunters (I know) ever catch a hog, but by golly, they have all the gps tracking collars, fancy dog boxes, and tricked out Rangers to look like they know what they're doing.:screwy:
Same as coon hunters. Its all about the baying of the dogs.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They can be elusive...but they can also be predictable until you disturb that...but in that first outing you can clean house. We had a game cam set up and a feeder and they were all coming around at the same time, about 30 of them. We let 'em set a routine and they kept the routine when we showed up loaded down. Waited for 'em all and cleaned house in no time. The rest stayed away for a bit, but started coming back again. Seems like you cant get ahead of the population though. We've shot big and small and they just keep coming.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hogs are nomadic, and it really makes them hard to hunt. When they move through my places in east Texas, I get my traps baited and generally have pretty good luck. I hit the mother load in May and caught two whole litters at one time. Here's the game camera footage and aftermath.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 129
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 165

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Waste of money. Until they make the bounty more than what outfitters can get for a hog hunt, landowners will continue to "hate" feral hogs yet charge people to come hunt them!

Said it before and will say it again. Only way to get rid of a hog problem is outlaw sport hunting and pay contractors to come in with helicopters and wipe'em out. It will never happen though, too much a business revolving around those damn things for them to go extinct now.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should've fully outlawed the move and sale of wild hogs, not just required a license. Allowing them to be transported and sold only furthers the issue. Are the people who purchase them required to have hog "proof" (I know, I know) fences? Nope.

I agree, baiting on public land would help, especially now that I'm seeing them. I figure we're stuck with them now.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They should've fully outlawed the move and sale of wild hogs, not just required a license. Allowing them to be transported and sold only furthers the issue. Are the people who purchase them required to have hog "proof" (I know, I know) fences? Nope.

I agree, baiting on public land would help, especially now that I'm seeing them. I figure we're stuck with them now.

Allowing the transporting and sale of live pigs actually decreases the population of pigs in the wild.

Latest posts

Top Bottom