WD40...solvent or lubricant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
As far as chains, they should be cleaned with hot solvent, allowed to dry, and cleaned once again in fresh hot solvent, allowed to dry and then put in hot 80W90 gear oil, then hung to drip the excess.
Back in the ATC racing days, one of our sponsors was Tsubaki chain. This was their recommendation.
They gave us cases of chains to give away at races.
Geez Dennis, it's not 1957, lol. Just use a new o-ring chain and lubricate with Boeshield T-9 ( Boeshield T-9® | Corrosion Protection and Waterproof Lubrication )

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked part time for a couple of local gunsmiths they both loved WD40 because it was a quick money maker.

Guys would bring in their guns and state that it wouldn't function correctly and after peeking inside the action they'd ask the customer what kind of lube they were using and 9 times out of 10 they'd reply WD40.......a patch or two saturated down the bore, spray inside liberally and wipe it down outside, all done with WD40.

Disassemble......clean all the gummy WD40 and filth out of the action and reassemble lubed properly = $50.00.

When the customer picked up their gun both smiths were honest and would tell the customer to save the WD40 for gate hinges and never use it on their guns......some may say that they've used it for years and never had a problem but I've never used it on my guns and won't.

Last edited:

WoodsCraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WD40 was developed for the military to keep rust and corrosion off of missile parts true story . Its not intended as a lubricant. As a kid we used 3 in 1 at home for gun lube , I used LSA and CLP for a long time because the army used it and it works great. Pro tip for you though A quart of Mobile One makes fantastic gun lube and will last you the rest of your life.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We protected the ways on machine tools in storage by mixing solvent and gear grease. Mixed until really liquid and used paint brushes to cover all surfaces. The solvent evaporates and leaves a fine coat of the grease to protect the bare metal. Some of those machine tools stayed in storage for years with zero rust.
I should have added that we used it for daily cleanup after shift. After cleanup we’d wipe way lube on.

Brushing on grease like that would keep rust at bay for a good long while!

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my understanding almost anything can be used as a solvent for something else as long as it dissolves.

WD-40 works as a great solvent for other greases as its lightweight and can be wiped up once the heavier grease is dissolved.

For me WD-40 is the great jack of all master of none. It does nothing really well but man does it do so many things “eh, I guess that works.”

I just switched to using PB blaster for all my rust prevention issues. Put it on my smoker for smoke season, and put it on pretty much any metal part I can think of. It stays a lot longer than WD-40, but doesn’t destroy paint.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1683728410656.png

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as chains, they should be cleaned with hot solvent, allowed to dry, and cleaned once again in fresh hot solvent, allowed to dry and then put in hot 80W90 gear oil, then hung to drip the excess.
Back in the ATC racing days, one of our sponsors was Tsubaki chain. This was their recommendation.
They gave us cases of chains to give away at races.
I lay chains in a pan with news paper under them and spray them with brake cleaner, oil and dirt gos on news paper chain quickly drys.
Then i drag a old tooth bruch with chain oil on chain that is it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom