We Tried to Pronounce Oklahoma Town Names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Meh, it's a time line thing. Didn't become a state til the 1900s. Was still Indian territory during the Civil War. Not a state, so it couldn't be a southern one. That distinction lays entirely with the members of the CSA.
General Stand Watie would like to have a word about your lack of imagination.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
A Georgian southern sympathizer? He had nothing but a title to stand on and even the states didn't recognize OK as anything other than Indian territory. Bear in mind that there were sympathizers to both sides here at that time. It didn't make it any more Southern or Northern. I see the state is so proud of him, they even took down his monument in 2020.

But back on topic. This one proved difficult for me at first. I got laughed at when I tried the first time.

Chautauqua

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's the street I was trying to describe. The Rudy's location. I believe I pronounced it like Chatakwah.
Shatakwah is how we pronounced it. Then again, you could tell the noobs by how they pronounced the name of the original law school building at OU, Monet Hall--if you pronounced it like the French painter, it was a dead giveaway. It's Muh-net Hall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom