We Tried to Pronounce Oklahoma Town Names

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have service companies call me and ask if I service “ taleekkwah” they mean Tahlequah, I always tell them they have to pronounce it right before I’ll go, screws with em a bit ! lol
Had relatives that lived north about 9 miles on black bird hill Rd. Probably not called that now. It was dirt Rd back then.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That reminds me of a Born Loser cartoon from the '80s. The protagonist of the strip starts by asking his boss if the capital of California is pronounced "la hoya" or "la jolla." The boss replies "Sacramento," to which the protagonist says, "boy, it sure isn't spelled like it sounds."
There's a similar joke about Kentucky, "How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, is it Lew-ee-ville or Lew-is-ville?" Almost everyone will answer one or the other.

I asked my mother-in-law once, who was not native to Kentucky but had lived there probably 20-30 years by then, she just turned her head slightly to the side, narrowed her eyes and stared at me as if she was thinking, "Is there something wrong with your brain, boy??" and slowly said, "Frankfort".

Her expression was way funnier than the joke.

:pms2:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vici anyone? As in Vy-sigh or how about Gotebo, Goat-E-bow
Gotebo made it onto the Oklahoma Centennial TV program when Johnny Bench told a story about Abe Lemons. Johnny said Abe told him that if he (Johnny) had listened when he (Abe) tried to recruit him out of high school, he (Johnny) "could've been the head coach at Gotebo by now."

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_0894.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom