Well, lets see em!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry took so long. Hunt an hour from home and it seems that I have a buddy that lives about every 15 miles on the way home. Was an incredible evening, crickets were chirping, yotes off in the distance, and then about 6:15 I hear grunting East of me and here he comes at a trot to the food pile with a doe right on his heals. Didn't take long to recognize the left antler. Everytime the doe would try to eat he would run her off, so it took a minute to get a shot. He piled up about 50y away. Has seven on the left and 6 on the right, most of which are about 3-4" long points around the bases, weighed 215lbs. Sorry about the blood/grass on his nose, it was getting late and starting to rain. Have only had 2 game cam pics of him since 9-24 and both in the daylight, go figure.

Awesome buck, man. Really glad it all came together for you. I too would be curious as to what he scores. I think he's probably bigger than his huge neck/head makes it seem.

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
GEEZE!! Great Bucks guys...

I feel embarrassed to post pics of my doe I shot Sunday in the pouring rain..haha here she is anyway..

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20111010_070611.jpg

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20111010_070528.jpg

entry

i265.photobucket.com_albums_ii240_brian8903_20111010_070545.jpg

exit

This doe ran about 35 yards and died in the field I shot her in.. That broadhead is deadly.. It looked like she had been shot with a 7 mag when I skinned her... I've shot 4 deer with these heads and watched all of them go down less than 50 yards away.. Way to keep whackin and stackin the deer guys..

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This buck was a nightmare for me. I flat out made a bad shot, probably cause I was shaking like a dog poopin razor blades. There were 6 bucks and 10+ does and fawns that had me completely surrounded. Some were at the feeder, bucks trying to run off does from feeder, and bucks fighting each other. It was utter chaos with that many deer in one place, but it did divert attention from my stupid rubber boots squeaking on the metal stand, but there were so many sets of eyes there to catch my not-so-smooth moves. Finally the buck I wanted gave me a 25 yard, broad side shot. I flung an arrow down in his direction. It reminded me of playing "red light, green light" as a kid, the noise of the bow made everyone freeze for about ten seconds in unison, then they went back to what they were doing. His reaction was not good. Upon impact, he took about three quick steps and froze. I saw my arrow on the ground, didn't see blood on it. How he was standing, I couldn't see entrance or exit wound. He walked around and stood 30 yards out, directly behind me. I did manage to nock another arrow, but there was no way I could turn my body around for another shot. I watched him out of the corner of my eye for almost 30 minutes and he was completely frozen, not alert looking, not eating like everyone else, just looking sickly, so something was wrong, but I couldn't tell what or where. After me being frozen in the stand for 45 minutes, everyone moved off enough where I could finally turn around and sit down. The buck I shot eventually moved off about 75 yards with another buck and he laid down. That was a good sign until the other buck started to wander off and my guy got up and walked with him. Thank God I was in the middle of an open pasture, so I could watch them for a long ways. They got out about 200 yards and he laid down again. By now sun has been down a while and pretty dark. I stayed put in the stand until 8:30. There were constantly deer around and I was afraid if I spooked them, I would run him off too. I could still see him by the moonlight and he was there when I left, so I felt pretty confident he would be there when I came back. Was there before sunup yesterday and could not WAIT for it to get light, finally it was light enough to see, got out... no deer. There was never a blood trail, so I was bout to **** a frisbee. After two and a half hours, I finally found him in the woods not far from where he was last seen. Got to see my shot close up and upon inspection I felt lucky to have recovered him. He never bled one drop on the outside from what I could tell. There was not one speck of red around the entrance or exit wound. I was shooting G5 broadheads and wasn't too impressed with the wound. But my shooting abilities, or lack thereof were more to blame than the broadhead. Regardless, one in the bag.

[Broken External Image]

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Brian and r00s7a.

Nice buck r00s, and good job waiting him out and sticking with the recovery effort. I have to say most people would have botched that and bumped him. Out of curiosity, where exactly did you hit him?

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Using the official anatomy pic of yours that I love so much...

Entrance
[Broken External Image]

Exit
[Broken External Image]

Got nothing but stomach, which is a horrible place to shoot one. I went home and did some research on deer reactions according to where they are shot, and he was textbook reaction to a stomach shot, which made me sick to mine.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Nice buck, and well done on the recovery. I've had the same experience with the G5 and switched to another head this year. Never lost a deer with the G5's but shot 4 with not a single drop of blood, watched them all fall within 75 yards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom