What’s Up With El Reno?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then I hope you guys never have to play Wewoka. They got into our locker room and stole pretty much everything they could one year back when we played them in football. And it seemed like every time we played Tishomingo, Coalgate, and several other SE Oklahoma high schools we got pelted with stuff on our way out of town.
Modern indian prophecy translation is " WE WOKE YA ".

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids went to Deer Creek and in our quest to advance in state play in soccer we would run into Capitol Hill HS. When we played them at their place ( 2009 one reg sched game and 2010 one playoff game ) the threats came early enough and serious enough that they (police) had us pull our busses inside the stadium and they kept an officer in the parking lot to watch our ( Deer Creek } vehicles having us all park in one area to separate and segregate. The police wanded the home team parents only. There was an incredible amount of yellow cards and a red card finally handed out when one of our players took a forearm shiver to the back of the head giving him a concussion and he was taken to hospital. Capitol Hill parents yelled colorful obscenities and threats to us and were limited to their own bleachers in their own stadium. That was 2010. Deer Creek Won!

Going back in time further I have some interesting history for you. I graduated from Del City HS in 1982. Previous to that in the mid 70's the Midwest City / Del City rivalry was at an all time high. It was considered one of the biggest HS rivalries in the nation if not the biggest. Yes Nation. They would fence off the football field and added portable bleachers to surround the end zones placing them on the oval track. There were several police on horseback for elevated views of the crowd and police presence was high. There were fights that broke out in the crowd occasionally anyway. I remember seeing a guy get kicked in the stomach by another guy. The one guy collapsed and looked as if he pissed his pants. As I continued to watch the receiver of foot, he laid there in agony undoing his pants and exposing himself to remove broken glass (hidden liquor bottle)
from his stomach where he was bleeding quite profusely. Medics then hauled him off. Hell of a thing to see at 13-14 years of age. People came from all over. It was like a college game with the crowd size. I remember it must have been an off night for some schools ( some games were played on thursdays ) as other HS teams were bussed in to watch. This was the common scene for several years. I remember seeing Lawton's team and busses there among others. The two weeks prior to the games there were bar fights and stabbings too. As thing escalated over the years some Del City students took it upon themselves to beak out all of the windows to a new addition of the Midwest City School. Not smart, same school district, burning your own money. In retaliation some Midwest City students took rope and chains, tied it to the doors of the Del City field house and with a truck they jerked them smooth off the building. They then tied up to a large cement EAGLE STATUE inside the entry of the field house. Dragging it down the steps leading up to the entry and somehow loading that massive, heavy thing up in a truck. They then dumped it out at Draper Lake. That became the final straw, so they moved that rivalry game from mid-season to the first game of the season for many years so as to de-escalate the build up. I'm not proud to say but I knew participants on both sides of the final acts. ( I remember smelling something funny so I'm pretty sure Swampratt was there too! ) True story.

Attached is a picture from a 1978 game where it broke loose a little. You can see the fencing used to corral the ball field. If you went thru some HS yearbooks you'd see horse backed police and additional bleachers. Picture given to me by city news reporter a couple of weeks after event. Thank god boys and men alike most generally finished with their fist rather than a simple squeeze. I'm pinched between fight and fence. There is another OSA member in this pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20230928_0001.jpg
    IMG_20230928_0001.jpg
    676.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s just ridiculous. If the home team can’t keep things reasonably civil and under control then they should have to forfeit the game. No way a visiting team should have to play under the pressure of being beaten, shot or stabbed.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just thought I'd offer an update.
Went to El Reno today for lunch, currently eating my Tooter's at a very nice park while my non-school aged kid plays. I musta caught ER on a good day

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kids went to Deer Creek and in our quest to advance in state play in soccer we would run into Capitol Hill HS. When we played them at their place ( 2009 one reg sched game and 2010 one playoff game ) the threats came early enough and serious enough that they (police) had us pull our busses inside the stadium and they kept an officer in the parking lot to watch our ( Deer Creek } vehicles having us all park in one area to separate and segregate. The police wanded the home team parents only. There was an incredible amount of yellow cards and a red card finally handed out when one of our players took a forearm shiver to the back of the head giving him a concussion and he was taken to hospital. Capitol Hill parents yelled colorful obscenities and threats to us and were limited to their own bleachers in their own stadium. That was 2010. Deer Creek Won!

Going back in time further I have some interesting history for you. I graduated from Del City HS in 1982. Previous to that in the mid 70's the Midwest City / Del City rivalry was at an all time high. It was considered one of the biggest HS rivalries in the nation if not the biggest. Yes Nation. They would fence off the football field and added portable bleachers to surround the end zones placing them on the oval track. There were several police on horseback for elevated views of the crowd and police presence was high. There were fights that broke out in the crowd occasionally anyway. I remember seeing a guy get kicked in the stomach by another guy. The one guy collapsed and looked as if he pissed his pants. As I continued to watch the receiver of foot, he laid there in agony undoing his pants and exposing himself to remove broken glass (hidden liquor bottle)
from his stomach where he was bleeding quite profusely. Medics then hauled him off. Hell of a thing to see at 13-14 years of age. People came from all over. It was like a college game with the crowd size. I remember it must have been an off night for some schools ( some games were played on thursdays ) as other HS teams were bussed in to watch. This was the common scene for several years. I remember seeing Lawton's team and busses there among others. The two weeks prior to the games there were bar fights and stabbings too. As thing escalated over the years some Del City students took it upon themselves to beak out all of the windows to a new addition of the Midwest City School. Not smart, same school district, burning your own money. In retaliation some Midwest City students took rope and chains, tied it to the doors of the Del City field house and with a truck they jerked them smooth off the building. They then tied up to a large cement EAGLE STATUE inside the entry of the field house. Dragging it down the steps leading up to the entry and somehow loading that massive, heavy thing up in a truck. They then dumped it out at Draper Lake. That became the final straw, so they moved that rivalry game from mid-season to the first game of the season for many years so as to de-escalate the build up. I'm not proud to say but I knew participants on both sides of the final acts. ( I remember smelling something funny so I'm pretty sure Swampratt was there too! ) True story.

Attached is a picture from a 1978 game where it broke loose a little. You can see the fencing used to corral the ball field. If you went thru some HS yearbooks you'd see horse backed police and additional bleachers. Picture given to me by city news reporter a couple of weeks after event. Thank god boys and men alike most generally finished with their fist rather than a simple squeeze. I'm pinched between fight and fence. There is another OSA member in this pic.

1. Everybody acts like this kind of stuff is new. Or worse than it was "back in the day" but I'm pretty sure people have been acting like animals since the beginning of time.

2. El Reno IS NOT in the OKC Metro. ****ing Mike Morgan trying to annex the entire ******* state into his "viewing area". Only way he can keep his numbers up, I guess. 🤷

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. Everybody acts like this kind of stuff is new. Or worse than it was "back in the day" but I'm pretty sure people have been acting like animals since the beginning of time.

2. El Reno IS NOT in the OKC Metro. ****ing Mike Morgan trying to annex the entire ******* state into his "viewing area". Only way he can keep his numbers up, I guess. 🤷
I beg to differ 🤣
I consider OKC El Reno to Choctaw, Guthrie to Riverwind 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom