What are the best Made in the USA 1911s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Little bit over $1k but I am a big fan of Dan Wesson. Main carry pistol is a Dan Wesson Guardian in 9mm. They make some of the nicest production 1911s I have seen, actually prefer it over my nighthawk.

I have nearly new DW Eco in 45 I would sell for 900. Really nice gun, I just prefer commander length 1911s. Just got a Kimber Commander 9mm, nice but haven't put it through the ropes yet.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What is with all the Kimber Hate? I have owned or own Ruger, Kimber, Springfield. All were very good, the Kimber's fit and finish just beat the others.

No hate, but I've owned two that didn't work correctly. One needed a little fluff and buff and the mag catch lock sheared the lug (MIM part), but the other one required a significant amount of work to make it function. It's a well known and documented phenomenon, which is why I said if you get one that works, no worries. If you get one that doesn't, it may require a lot of work to make it right. If you're a Kimber fan, it's probably worth it to you to forge ahead. For some of us it's not. It's just a choice we all make. Otherwise, it's all good! :thumb:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No hate, but I've owned two that didn't work correctly. One needed a little fluff and buff and the mag catch lock sheared the lug (MIM part), but the other one required a significant amount of work to make it function. It's a well known and documented phenomenon, which is why I said if you get one that works, no worries. If you get one that doesn't, it may require a lot of work to make it right. If you're a Kimber fan, it's probably worth it to you to forge ahead. For some of us it's not. It's just a choice we all make. Otherwise, it's all good! :thumb:
Any of them can be "tuned" just like an AR that doesnt function properly.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I would go with STI. I have an STI 2011 40 cal now, just sold an STI Guardian 45cal, it was accurate and reliable and just as beautiful. I wouldn't have held on to for so long if it wasn't, I just didn't take it out and shoot it as much as it deserved and it was one to keep around to show my friends. :)

<-- Oh, there it is, I guess I need to change that.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive had a few rugers and they all ran 100%. best bang for your buck as far as 1911s go. attractive, reliable, lifetime warranty. Their was an online sale last week for commander SR1911s for something like $530 NEW. even at the regular prices around $630 they are worth it IMO.

Who had the ruger sale?

Latest posts

Top Bottom