What do you think is a good old .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a good used .308 and was just curious what everyones opinions were on the best manufacturer/model/ or year for the $.. I'm not very versed on rifles, I know there are really nice new ones but in my price range I may end up with trash.

not looking to spend over 500, but I'd like something that's been tried and tested.. bolt is preferred but semi auto is fine also... planned mostly for deer and long range targets, maybe the occasional mountain lion..

what should I be looking for?

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic blue for about $400 bucks new. They come with a factory shot test target proving 1.5 MOA or less. Good rifles too.

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Savage are one of the most accurate rifles right now and their price is very reasonable, .......there is just something about them that bugs me. Some parts on the rifle look a little crude and it just doesn't seem to have the grace of a Remington/Ruger/Weatherby. I bought a Weatherby Vanguard .223
for 400 bucks recently and it seems very well made and refined and I adjusted the trigger spring down to 3lbs and it shoots 3/4" groups easily with 50 round Rem. Value Pak ammo.

StammesOpfer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If looking for a cheaper rifle I love the marlin Xs7 I have one it borrows from savage a lot has an accutrigger style trigger though it is different and really is an excellent shooter. New they are about the same price as a stevens but much better and mine shoots sub moa easy as long as you let the barrel cool or free float it. And for that price you can buy a scope and some ammo and still be in your price range.

I love marlin if your looking for a good price, good shooting factory rifle. Just don't plan on finding a big after market for it (it does take savage barrels though). If after market is what you want then go savage or remmy.

buster11

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can find a used remmy 700 sps tactical for around 500 or a little less if you look. With a 20" barrel it's not to heavy to hunt with and would be a verry good rifle to start with. Good accuracy and probably the best resale value for a factory rifle.

jej

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick with a bolt.

All the recommendations above are fine.

Do not buy a Rem 788. Accurate and cheap, but they break the bolt handle off easily under normal usage, and you cannot get replacement parts. There is a reason Rem quit making the 788.

jej

Latest posts

Top Bottom