What do you think is a good old .308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stick with a bolt.

All the recommendations above are fine.

Do not buy a Rem 788. Accurate and cheap, but they break the bolt handle off easily under normal usage, and you cannot get replacement parts. There is a reason Rem quit making the 788.

jej

Thanks for the haeds up on the 788. A buddy of mine wants to trade me one that he's got. Was thinking awful hard on it too.

liliysdad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I disagree on the 788. Grab every one of them you can find. The bolt handle issue is over stated, and easily repaired by a semi competent Tig welder. They are insanely accurate, and highly sought after.

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Out of the Box new...Savage is top of the heap for accuracy for dollars spent. You can even get a Bolt/Scope package new for right around $500. I don't know what the scopes are, but for that price it would be hard to go wrong.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I disagree on the 788. Grab every one of them you can find. The bolt handle issue is over stated, and easily repaired by a semi competent Tig welder. They are insanely accurate, and highly sought after.

+1 on the 788.they quickly being snatched up by collectors and guys looking for inexpensive,accurate shooters.rare calibers like the 44 mag and the 30-30 are creeping up to the 5-600 area.the 308's had a rep of outshooting the model 700 right out of the box for way less money.

the bolt thing is over stated.most of it being caused by reloaders not properly sizing the brass.

i bought a 788 in 30-30 with the handle broke off for $100.sent it off to one of remingtons factory authorized repair shops for the "new and improved" stronger bolt.that was another $119.now i've got a nice rifle for $219.

so,if you can get it at the right price,buy it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom