What is everyone using to bust birds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Although I have no initial plans to replace the old reliable boat anchor of a shotgun my A-5 is. I would like to progress into the 21st century sometime soon.

looking for a semi auto 12ga. that would be good for most airborn birds(quail, pheasant, dove etc). I don't need anything for turkey or goose.

What is everyone using?

I have a friend that just picked up a new Benelli Vinci and is in love with it. I won't be spending that much on a bird gun anytime soon.

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you are a young flat belly I would look at down sizing to a 20 or 28 gauge. Seems like the older and more out of shape I get the smaller(lighter)my hunting guns get.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also use the Remington 1100.
By far my favorite is the tried and true 870. I use it for sporting clays and it shoots way better than I can. I have one that I have shot for 30 years and I kill more birds than the guys with the $3,000 shotguns.

Moral of the story...pick something that fits you and your style of shooting and stick with it.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you are a young flat belly I would look at down sizing to a 20 or 28 gauge. Seems like the older and more out of shape I get the smaller(lighter)my hunting guns get.

Now this is begining to make more sense.
My thoughts have strayed to a 20 guage several times. Now I know it is because I am no longer a "young flat belly" and "older and more out of shape" pretty much describes me. A smaller lighter gun has profound advantages to us Seasoned Veterans.

What 20 would you recommend?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Almost alll I've ever used was my Ithica Mod 37.
Never saw a reason to change.
I have on occasion shot something different, but mostly because a bird made itself available when I had something else in hand.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now this is begining to make more sense.
My thoughts have strayed to a 20 guage several times. Now I know it is because I am no longer a "young flat belly" and "older and more out of shape" pretty much describes me. A smaller lighter gun has profound advantages to us Seasoned Veterans.

What 20 would you recommend?

ther is a sweet ass premier 1100 20ga in the classifieds for $750

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grew up busting quail with an 870 Wingmaster 20ga. Unfortunately I gave that to my Cousin in Houston.

I'm 28 and not so flatbelly. Good marriage will do that to you. My dad has an old 20ga SKB that he bought shortly before they quit importing them. Great gun But I want to stay witl 12ga. I'm hard headed.

I wouldn't mind an 870 but I'm looking for a semi auto.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I grew up busting quail with an 870 Wingmaster 20ga. Unfortunately I gave that to my Cousin in Houston.

I'm 28 and not so flatbelly. Good marriage will do that to you. My dad has an old 20ga SKB that he bought shortly before they quit importing them. Great gun But I want to stay witl 12ga. I'm hard headed.

I wouldn't mind an 870 but I'm looking for a semi auto.

YOU GAVE AWAY A GUN...I will call a vote to have you removed from the OSA family. DO NOT EVER GIVE AWAY A GUN.
The only guns I ever gave away where part of a divorce settlement. Divorces are so expensive because they are worth it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom