Just bought a Remington 1100...have a few questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a few questions about an 1100 I just picked up.

For a little background, I've been thinking of buying a moderately priced O/U (to me that's in the $800-$1200 range). Something like the Franchi Instinct L or a CZ Redhead/Wingshooter. My intended use would be some hunting (dove, quail, pheasant) and to get into skeet or 5 stand shooting. I'm just getting interested in both. I currently have a Mossberg pump in 12ga. I was thinking of getting a 20ga.

So, on Friday i was in a local shop looking at some shotguns. Just wanted to get my hands on some to see which ones felt good as my wife is looking for some direction from for an upcoming gift. They didn't have a good selection, but while I was there, in walks a guy looking to sell his Remington 1100 12ga with a fixed IC barrel. For whatever reason, the guy behind the counter says they're not interested in buying the gun. Overhearing this conversation, I walk up to the guy and say "come find me when you're done and let's talk". Out in the parking lot, he shows me the gun and it starts to get my interest. Long story short, I walked away with his 1100 for $200.

I've read a lot of threads where people recommend 1100's or 11-87's on the used market, but I didn't expect to find one this easily. From what I can tell, the gun is in really good shape. I would estimate the finish in the 85-90% range. Wood is very good and the blueing shows no wear. I broke it down last weekend and gave it a good cleaning, as it was pretty dirty. I think I'll hang in to this for a while since it seems like a good deal.

Here are my questions...

I know I can change the barrel to something that accepts chokes. But what would you recommend I do with this one? Have the original barrel modified to accept chokes or buy a new barrel?

If the latter, which ones would you recommend?

Am I asking for trouble if I were to put a 3" barrel on a mom-magnum receiver?

Here are some pics since everyone likes pics.

Thanks in advance, Brent

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
2 3/4" I/C should do everything you listed above just fine IMO...........maybe late season pheasant, I/C might be a little thin, but I wouldn't sweat it. Great find and price by the way. Have you fired it?

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You made a fine buy. 1100's will run over 100,000 rounds of "low brass" 2 3/4" loads.

The "O" ring under the front end wood tends to get brittle with time. Buy new ones from a Remington dealer or online. Do not try a hardware store match up.

Its a no-go for running 3" mag barrels on this one.

Screw-in chokes can be handy. Look at this as an opportunity to buy a longer or shorter barrel with the screw-in choke feature; Remington maybe.

The shell ejector on some will come loose. Fixable by your gunsmith or possibly yourself if you buy the special tool from a gunsmith supply house like Brownells.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
First off, if you ever want your money back, please message me. I'd leave that shotgun just as you bought it. The IC choke will do everything well and some things very well (dove). So much is made about chokes these days and 3 inch shells or 3 1/2 shells. Technology just can't replace skill and as you know skill comes from practice. I've had different shotguns with screw in chokes and it may make a little difference, but my Ithaca M37 with a fixed Mod choke is still king for taking birds while using those small 2 3/4 inch shells.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You made a fine buy. 1100's will run over 100,000 rounds of "low brass" 2 3/4" loads.

The "O" ring under the front end wood tends to get brittle with time. Buy new ones from a Remington dealer or online. Do not try a hardware store match up.

Its a no-go for running 3" mag barrels on this one.

Screw-in chokes can be handy. Look at this as an opportunity to buy a longer or shorter barrel with the screw-in choke feature; Remington maybe.

The shell ejector on some will come loose. Fixable by your gunsmith or possibly yourself if you buy the special tool from a gunsmith supply house like Brownells.

Good advice. The o-ring is easily replaceable with a Viton type of rubber. The Buna will not take the heat. The Viton is what the factory puts on.

Its an 021. Reason I know this is because I ordered one from Remington, and this was the spec provided on the package.

ORings need to be changed every 2-3 years. The ring I mentioned can be bought for less than a buck at a bearing store or automotive store. Specify Viton.

9mmTeacher

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remington produces a "steel shot" barrel that will accept 3" steel shot for use in the non-magnum receiver. You did great. Wish I were that lucky. Have fun with that gun, it'll be with you for a lifetime!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hard to believe a shop wouldn't be interested in that shotgun looking at the condition in the pics. You did good on that one. Its identical to my first shotgun and used to shoot quail dove skeet rabbit deer pheasant ducks geese turkey coyote turtles snakes soda cans beer cans empty shotshells glass bottles and almost anything else heavy enough to toss in the air. At one time the Rem 1100 auto 26" vent rib IC fixed barrel was the perfect auto in my book.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
dang good buy! you got a fixed ic with a vent rib. the perfect all around gun in my opinion. you could use it for everything you mentioned. the only thing it may not be able to do is reach and touch a tom turkey if hes past 25-30 yards, but thats it. i wouldn't touch a thing, shoot and enjoy,knowing you could double your money by the end of the day! btw, i think you underestimated the condition!

jbrentd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Hard to believe a shop wouldn't be interested in that shotgun looking at the condition in the pics.

That's what I thought as well. They were making comments about the fact that it had a fixed choke and potential reliability issues with the o-ring seal. It kind of reminded me of a used car dealership talking down about your car to set you up for a ridiculous trade-in valuation.

Latest posts

Top Bottom