What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Salinas CA to Chicago, then back to Modesto CA in 4 1/2 days. Right around 4500 miles..... Wow was I tired when I finished that loop. No, not one of my brighter moments. But, I was 27 and was proving myself to the old timers. I would NOT suggest even half that trip in the same time frame...... no enjoyment in it. But, that pink elephant on the purple unicycle never got past me
I may be one of the few that understand that statement in bold. I was riding my Goldwing to OKC one morning after two days of no sleep to get a medical checkup at the Navy Reserve clinic by the fairgrounds. I would bet the farm that cedar tree beside the road turned into a bear and ran into the field next to the right of way.
Lack of sleep can certainly cause hallucinations.
It was harvest time and I was dead set on getting back on the combine after making that trip.
Common sense finally got a grip, so swung by my sisters and slept for several hours.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I joke I’ve been to some of the most scenic places in America, for about 5 minutes each. Pull up, do whatever was required at that bonus stop, and on to the next one. Kind of like a scavenger hunt on 2 wheels.
That's us too. Get a t-shirt at each national park, beartooth pass, tail of the dragon....etc....then move on. 10 years later we are reminded those trips by wearing those t-shirts. They are starting to show wear so we may have to go back !!

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In 1 shot?

No. The company has a rule that we can't drive/work for more than 10 hours per day. Plus, we have to stick pretty close to the speed limits. I did some figuring and it will take us 4 days to make it all the way up there and then 4 more to get back. Also, this won't be a solo trip because we work as a team.

However, back when I drove 18-wheelers, I would be away from home for weeks while hauling Anhydrous Ammonia in Kansas and Nebraska and living out of the truck's sleeper and eating at the Dodge City truck stop.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
About a month ago, I went from Choctaw to just north of Savannah, GA. I stayed the night somewhere in South Carolina, just across the border. I left at 6 AM CST and arrived just after midnight EST. It was just over 1100 miles and 17 hours. I've done 14 hour drives several times. I was driving a new Denali with Supercruise though so a lot of that time was hands-free.

Latest posts

Top Bottom