What kind of offer would it take for you to move to a different job?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would take lots of money, hot chicks, whiskey at work, short hours, free OU & Thunder season tickets, a beautiful nympho boss, and a company limo because I'm a little over four months from retiring with state pension, federal pension, social security, and Federal BC&BS insurance for me and my wife. But I will keep an open mind. :)

Cedar Creek

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Random thoughts, not necessarily signifying anything:

1. $$$$$ talk, BS walks.

2. A generally accepted axiom in HR world: people join companies but they leave supervisors. What is your relationship like with your supervisor?

3. Based on your $30-40k proposed raise figure, it's clear that exceeds the normal guideline of at least a 10% raise to change laterally.

4. As multiple posters have noted, be sure you understand the full costs of the change.

natgas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm facing the same situation right now; being offered more money, similar position, to relocate to Houston; I moved from Houston to here almost 7 years ago but miss the weather!

I'm going to take a couple of weeks to ponder the offer, take a couple of days trip there to visit the firm and make my decision----money is not everything (but it does buy a few guns) :)

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The company I work for is the largest naturally grown company in history, meaning growth without mergers or buying smaller companies. In 90 years it's went from 1 guy to over 68,000. There has never been layoffs. It is one of the very few private companies that still offers an actual pension system. I took about a 30% pay cut to take the job. To some people, it's not always about money. I'm not going anywhere.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Basically, tons of cash. By that I mean at least double what I make now. I'm finally in a position where I don't have to work my butt off all day and into the night. I'm on call every 4th week but I've only been called in 2-3 times in 5yrs even though I've had to stay over an hour here and there. The only draw back is that I have to work with 2 lazy old cows who on a good day put out about 25% effort. One's a pathological liar and the other one has "cognitive vacations" on a daily basis and can't remember what the hell she's doing. Neither one of them could retire soon enough to suit me!

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The company I work for is the largest naturally grown company in history, meaning growth without mergers or buying smaller companies. In 90 years it's went from 1 guy to over 68,000. There has never been layoffs. It is one of the very few private companies that still offers an actual pension system. I took about a 30% pay cut to take the job. To some people, it's not always about money. I'm not going anywhere.

You work for Subway.

kinggabby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it would be hard to do for me if I loved my job. That's if the job I loved could comfortably pay bills and have money to do things. I look at this why for me it is hard to go from a sure thing to a what if. But I guess I am not much of a risk taker now a days.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on your age and what you like doing.

If you enjoy spending time out doing things like hunting or fishing but are stuck in a job that never lets you do the things you love then why?

If you are young and can save money then I might say get a $$$ job and save it all up till you are 40 then quit and find a job you LOVE.

I have never had a job that I didn't like, Sorry folks but I never chased the money like my brothers.
They make 100K+ but never get to do anything but work and come home, they have expensive houses and cars and their kids get everything they ask for but in the long run they are up to their necks in debt because they spend like they have more.
If they took a week off to go fishing or hunting they would loose their houses and cars.

I am self employed and make just enough to keep my nose above water but my house is paid for, my cars are paid for, I retired from a job that took 4 or 5 hours a day to do so I had lots of time for me, I am spending my retirement working on guns and shooting everyone elses guns and I don't have the pressure to be at my job 24/7.

Would I quit my job for a $100K job somewhere else? I don't think so unless it was doing what I already do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom