what to seal tranny line fitting threads with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Installed a new radiator and since the OEM fittings didn't seem to have anything on them, I put it back together with nothing on the threads of the tranny cooler lines that go into the radiator. BOTH were leaking pretty good. So in a pinch, I used some teflon tape and it slowed it enough so that it is driveable, but still leaking some. My plan is to tackle it again this weekend and clean the threads with brake cleaner and then try something else. Can I use some white pipe dope, or some clear silicone or what to seal these fittings? It's not something that I would take apart often so that's why I was considering silicon. I want to stop the leaks, what should I use?

Thanks gentlemen

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Pipe dope and teflon serve the same purpose, reduces friction between the threads so that it can be tightened enough to keep from leaking.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You need to inspect the flares closely, sometimes they will crack where the flare meets the tubing.

You can use teflon tape or graphite packing to seal flared fittings, but NOT on the threads. Twist the teflon tape into a small "rope" and wrap it (or a small strand of graphite packing) several turns around the tubing between the flare and the nut before installing. A small o-ring can also be used, but lube it well and beware of over-tightening.

This basically turns the flare into a compression fitting. Again... first make sure the flare is not cracked.

EDIT: If you use this method, be sure to hold the tubing firmly against the seat as you tighten the nut. You don't want the packing to get in front of the flare.

Last edited:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This picture is on a 4.0 but the fittings look the same as the V8.

www.jeepforum.com_forum_attachments_f310_642852d1372997862t_trf90a0cc1a2d0f4f74408ac7e45c2ca12.jpg

Here is one for the V8 (right side is the one that the metal line screws to and it seems to be the same as the one above):

thumbs.ebaystatic.com_images_g_uqEAAOSwARZXkYh2_s_l225.jpg

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teflon tape is a no go on that fitting. What you need is either a boss oring (face seal and other types will most likely leak) or a sealing washer. Don't reuse the old washer, it won't seal properly 80% of the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom