When did light bulb choices get so darn complicated?!?!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple of bulbs in my recessed lights went out in my kitchen, so I put Lowe's on my list of Saturday morning errands. The schedule called for pop in, get bulbs, pop out and on the way with the rest of my errands. Holy Crap! I blew my schedule just trying to figure out what was best. What happened to the days of your choices being 40-60-75-100 Watt. Now I had to pick between CFL and LED. And soft white, bright light or sunlight. Then, I decided to go ahead and replace all 6 bulbs at one time, so this meant I had to limit my choices to what Lowes had available in stock. It seems with all their choice available, they dont keep a lot of stock available.

It's all Bulbboys fault!!! But, my kitchen is pretty friggin bright now...

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hate when lights go out that are grouped together....it's almost impossible to match lights anymore...

Last time I replaced a can in my kitchen I replaced them all just to make them match - and I bought another set just to replace the next ones that go out.

It's a conspiracy!

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One afternoon I bought four of the Lowes Utilitech 3500K spiral CFL bulbs and put three in one fixture at the same time. By 10:30 that night all three had quit working. Took them all back and bought another brand at Walmart. They've been fine since.

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate CFLs. I'm okay with LEDs, they just cost a billion dollars. I still prefer those nasty, environmental disaster incandescents.

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
CFL's will last forever if you never turn them off. I put 100 watt equivalent ones in the sconce lights by the garage door 5 years ago and they are still working. I never turn them off. 43,000 hours give or take a few. Im pretty sure they are the Great Value walmart brand

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Landscape lights are a pain also. Mess one up and try to replace it with one that looks like it is impossible. I have ended up having to buy new landscape lights so they all match. Last time purchased a couple extra.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just make sure you don't buy the store brands - they are made with lower quality LED drivers and color shift over time.
Stick with Sylvania, Philips, TCP, and a couple others.

If you ever have any questions don't hesitate to send me a PM

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sulpher fill CFL's are my favorites. Incandescent toned warm light, low cost, low heat. I think I've had the same bulb in my lamp for 8 years now. It's those nasty mercury blue/harsh lights I can't stand.

LED's on the outside, same for 3 years now.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Make sure you look for the color temp on the box

2700k = warm (more like incandescent)
3000k = soft white (closer to halogen lights)
4100k = cool white (more like office 2x4 lights)
5000k = pure white (daylight) great for garages, reading, fine machining, etc)

Latest posts

Top Bottom