Why get an AR-9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you're using the right gun/ammo there's no worry about 5.56/.223 overpenetrating any more than 9mm. That myth has been debunked over and over and over. There's probably a greater risk you'll miss your target completely. No one seems to ever worry about that.
a shock wave with bird shot would seem to be the ultimate home defense weapon unless you were facing a mob. I have bird shot in my Mav88 but I would still prob grab for the pistol over the long gun inside the house (unless I had a shockwave).

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@sh00ter

Birdshot is for the birds. Quite literally! It doesn't penetrate deep enough to stop an attacker unless you are at about 5 feet or closer, then maybe. Get some buck...
I have buck too, but I was speaking in the context of indoor distances. I have a friend who has worked in the ER and he is also a gun enthusiast and he told me birdshot at indoor distances is devastating but won't over penetrate walls like buck.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've ever hunted birds you know that birdshot oftentimes doesn't even kill a bird.

I'm not saying it won't work, but it's probably no more effective than a .22LR.

And again...why is everyone so focused on overpenetration when you're far more likely to miss your target in the first place?

I have no worries about overpenetration in the home...no more so than I would have on the street. I think it's a concern that is way overblown. It's one of those myths that sounds good when you hear it but falls apart under serious evaluation. Like racking a shotgun to scare someone. Just a bad idea.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you've ever hunted birds you know that birdshot oftentimes doesn't even kill a bird.

I'm not saying it won't work, but it's probably no more effective than a .22LR.

And again...why is everyone so focused on overpenetration when you're far more likely to miss your target in the first place?

I have no worries about overpenetration in the home...no more so than I would have on the street. I think it's a concern that is way overblown. It's one of those myths that sounds good when you hear it but falls apart under serious evaluation. Like racking a shotgun to scare someone. Just a bad idea.
I hear ya, but up close bird shot turns flesh into hamburger meat per my buddy's description. At longer distances where only a few pellets hit the target, of course it isn't the best choice. But after seeing Paul Harrell's vid on buck shot and drywall, I'm not willing to risk it with kids in the house. To each his own of course.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have buck too, but I was speaking in the context of indoor distances. I have a friend who has worked in the ER and he is also a gun enthusiast and he told me birdshot at indoor distances is devastating but won't over penetrate walls like buck.
In my time in the ER, I have found quite the opposite. Bird shot doesn't penetrate to the vital organs, the shot pattern breaks up within inches of hitting flesh. Definitely painful, but not fatal.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they made it to the ER, still in need of emergency care, the birdshot didn't do the job. Those people were likely still able to do harm if they were determined.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my time in the ER, I have found quite the opposite. Bird shot doesn't penetrate to the vital organs, the shot pattern breaks up within inches of hitting flesh. Definitely painful, but not fatal.
Well it seems like it would be hard to repair such a wound. I am pretty confident a 12gauge with birdshot from 0-15ft would stop someone who meant me or my family harm.

If I were outside I would want buckshot of course. Good thing is we can all load what we like. I don't dispute the effectiveness of buckshot; it is like 9 separate 30cal projectiles at once.

Latest posts

Top Bottom