Why get an AR-9?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have pcc yet but if I was going to get one I'd get it in 45acp. And suppress it. Makes more sense to me to have a heaver bullet thats much quieter.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wanted one of the original Colt 9mm's -- forget the designation - the 6520 maybe? A1 style upper, long skinny stick magazine

That said --- have added a PTR MP5 homage to the inventory and so dont feel a personal need for one.

That doesnt mean i dont want one if i ever stumble across one at the right time when my budget will allow though . I also would like one of the takedown Rugers which are much easier to find. Seems like would fit the "truck gun" or backpacking gun concept reasonably well for plinking and small game hunting.
Although if its an emergency situation or a hypothetical defensive situation, your rifle being in 2 pieces means you are a step or 2 behind where you need to be already

But in general - if youve ever fired a 11" barreled AR pistol in 5.56 indoors youd see the utility in a 9mm version. The noise factor is considerably less. I recall a famous firearms instructor recommending keeping some noise cancelling earmuffs next to his bump-in-the-night pistol

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always wanted one of the original Colt 9mm's -- forget the designation - the 6520 maybe? A1 style upper, long skinny stick magazine

That said --- have added a PTR MP5 homage to the inventory and so dont feel a personal need for one.

That doesnt mean i dont want one if i ever stumble across one at the right time when my budget will allow though . I also would like one of the takedown Rugers which are much easier to find. Seems like would fit the "truck gun" or backpacking gun concept reasonably well for plinking and small game hunting.
Although if its an emergency situation or a hypothetical defensive situation, your rifle being in 2 pieces means you are a step or 2 behind where you need to be already

But in general - if youve ever fired a 11" barreled AR pistol in 5.56 indoors youd see the utility in a 9mm version. The noise factor is considerably less. I recall a famous firearms instructor recommending keeping some noise cancelling earmuffs next to his bump-in-the-night pistol
The ruger is much heavier than sp5/ap5 and other mp5 civilian clones. Same with heavier than cmmg banshees. I own all the above. If shooting suppressed, the ruger is by far and away the worst. I like the cz and ak-v better too.

If I lived in the sticks, I’d just use my ar rifles or m1a. I live in town, 50 yards would be a very long shot here. I’d rather have mag compatibility between pistols and pccs. Pcc just offers more stability over a pistol so I’ll be more accurate.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd love a suppressor for mine, but it's just not in the budget for a while. The V is pretty quiet as is and I use a linear comp on it, since I mainly shoot indoors. Helps keep the muzzle blast down for your range neighbors.
Again, anytime, we can put one of my suppressors on. I’m curious how well the ak-v will suppress.

mcrosenquist

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I enjoy shooting my 9mm AR. I have the Maxim roller delay buffer. Recoil is light. Also shares the same magazine as my pistol so would be able to share bullets and magazines with both if needed.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy a gun for every occasion just in case. Guns that take 22LR, 9mm, 357/38, 223/556, 762x39 and 12 gauge. I try to stick to the major players. So why get a 9mm PCC…..more options for different scenarios. Also, when you talk about home defense it all depends on your plan. My plan if someone breaks in my place is that the wife calls 911 and takes cover under the bed. I grab my shotguns and take cover in my walk-in closet (with a nice and clear shot at the bedroom door). There’s absolutely nothing worth taking outside of my bedroom (no kids in the house) and nothing worth killing anyone for. Only way someone gets in my bedroom is to kick in the door. Then I send a shitload of 00 buck (24 rounds loaded and ready to go) at boogeymen.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I buy a gun for every occasion just in case. Guns that take 22LR, 9mm, 357/38, 223/556, 762x39 and 12 gauge. I try to stick to the major players. So why get a 9mm PCC…..more options for different scenarios. Also, when you talk about home defense it all depends on your plan. My plan if someone breaks in my place is that the wife calls 911 and takes cover under the bed. I grab my shotguns and take cover in my walk-in closet (with a nice and clear shot at the bedroom door). There’s absolutely nothing worth taking outside of my bedroom (no kids in the house) and nothing worth killing anyone for. Only way someone gets in my bedroom is to kick in the door. Then I send a shitload of 00 buck (24 rounds loaded and ready to go) at boogeymen.
I hope if someone ever tries to beak in, they are considerate enough that they allow you to follow your plan. Like give time to actually get to the bedroom.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I hope if someone ever tries to beak in, they are considerate enough that they allow you to follow your plan. Like give time to actually get to the bedroom.
I’m always home so they better hope I’m in my bed asleep. Otherwise it’s easy pickins. I live in a very small place. Yes, I have plans and backup plans, and backup-backup plans. Something I learned from a bunch of great people called the Marines. So I think I got it down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom