Worth getting a rifle in 7.62x39 anymore?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for some input. I've been saving some money for a bit to buy my first AK. The frontrunners are the KUSA KR103 and the Zastava ZPAP M70. I've been watching a lot of videos on the subject and one youtuber whose opinion I value is Small Arms Solutions. He got me thinking that maybe I should get one in 5.56 since Russian ammo supplies are running dry, and currently prices for 7.62x39 are higher than 5.56 and looks like it could stay that way.

avtomatkalashnikov47

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
eh, your better off getting a .223 / .556 AK. they can be had for under 900$ Right now. probably cheaper tbh.

Or some AK in 9mm.

Both are guns im looking to get soon tbh due to ammo availability.

So to awnser your question. i wouldnt.
Not till you start seeing that ammo on the shelves, which i havent seen any for under 25-30$ a box for 20 rounds which is a complete rip-off.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you reload?

All ammo is subject to price changes and availability changes. 30-30 is one of the most popular hunting rounds. Tried to find any over the past several years? It is easier today than over the past four or five. Supply and demand and alphabet soup people. These are our new limitations. I saw it for sale.

remember it has more powder and more lead in the round. Raw material costs are going to be a factor as well.

Get the rifle you desire. Buy what works for you. Do not know what the tool would be used for but a 30-30 takes most every game animal in the lower 48. 30-06 will take biggest ones. .303 will take pretty much any game animal.

For stand off most countries depend upon the 7.62.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both of those guns are nice, but the Zastava has a better trigger. AK rifles are starting to become harder to get, so even if ammo is hard to acquire or expensive, if you really want an AK now is the time to get one.

crispy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree. Get one now while you can because it’ll be harder to find imports later. And I wouldn’t get an American one just yet. I hear PSA ones are better now, but I don’t think the American ones are there yet. I think 7.62x39 will come around again but it’ll take some time

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
thanks to the current administration Russian surplus will be dry for the foreseeable future. If you want one now is the time to get one for sure though. There’s supposed to be some Turkish imports coming soon but who knows. Hornady and federal are loading some options. Sadly the days of cheap spam cans are over.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can still get quite a bit of brass cased 7.62x39, it's just the steel cased stuff that is getting hard to find. PSA will be bringing their steel cased plant online shortly (from what I've read) and that should help some.

cboss

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Appreciate all the replies. I have decided to go with the 7.62x39. Leaning towards the Zastava, just need to decide between the fixed or triangle folder stock.

Latest posts

Top Bottom