Training a new guy, but has been in the petroleum business for 10 years.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did he ever have a chance?

I only ask that because I’ve spent way too many years with the same company and I have noticed that not all great technicians can train a new employee.

First thing I would ask for is some type of documentation that you, as the company’s choice to train him, did what you could do.

Hopefully it works out, sounds like the workforce is struggling all over the place.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had those know it all types.
One of my rules, other techs don't help or answer questions, all questions come to me UNTIL I have certified the trainee. He knows it all, git to it. Nobody will help. Some (most) will shut up and listen. Unfortunately, a few had to seek employment elsewhere.

Good techs and good jobs are hard to find. Good luck, hopefully he wakes up and makes a hand.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Goodness. I feel your pain.
I try and teach and hands on show guys how to check and set the timing in their car and how to remove and install a distributor back in the right spot.

Not rocket science.
But the same people call me over and over to go fix their timing.

These fools build cars all the time but darn near 90% of everything on the car is a cobbled up mess but people buy these messes from them for big money.

100% not reliable.

Age of these people are 18-75 so I do not think it is an age thing I think it is a thing with I did not charge them enough money.
So instead of them learning and paying attention to what I just did right in front of their noses they call me back and make me fix their f up.

I never could understand people not paying attention.

I think from this day forward I will charge these fools the rate a speed shop pays me to work on old cars with carburetors.
$80 an hour.

TerryP

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m in the same boat with a new heat and air tech ..
We’ll see how it goes, no commercial experience.
No 3phase experience
No 480v experience
Nothing above 5 tons
We have package units 170+ tons
And all of the chillers are 250 tons and up.
Here we go..

Big House

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did he ever have a chance?

I only ask that because I’ve spent way too many years with the same company and I have noticed that not all great technicians can train a new employee.

First thing I would ask for is some type of documentation that you, as the company’s choice to train him, did what you could do.

Hopefully it works out, sounds like the workforce is struggling all over the place.
I'm pretty sure the problem does not lie on me, or I would have received a call from the office. I've had my share of people I've trained and had zero complaints. The company is struggling to get good people hired.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent almost a decade as a military instructor after retiring and I will whole-heartedly admit that some of our youth are just difficult to get anything across, I call them Google heroes. They just Google everything and fail to retain it.

Good luck with this guy! Sounds like you’ve been around the block; sometimes it just sucks to take your turn at watching a person struggle due to their stubborn nature.

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hired new people, whether they were experienced or not, I spent time with them on the first day and covered our department’s basic functions, equipment, infection control guidelines, procedure manuals, patient care priority and triage guidelines, documentation in medical records, variance (error) reporting, billing, and our department hierarchy, Safety, benefits hospital discipline policies and credentialing verification was provided by Human Resources. New employees were then assigned to experienced staff who acted as preceptors until I was informed that they were ready to work independently, but they were never left alone in our facility until their competence was well established. I made it clear that, if they were unsure of something they were being told to do, if something confused them, or they needed to talk something over, they had my phone number and were encouraged to call me any time of day, any day of the year whether it was a holiday or if I was on vacation. This rarely happened; but occasionally it did. I had the best people anyone could ask for and I pitched in with the work (emergencies, routine patient care, equipment cleaning and operational pre-checks) when they couldn’t cover it all. If issues involving clinical competence, departmental or interdepartmental personal conflicts or patient/ family complaints arose, I interviewed complaining parties (directly involved and witnesses) before meeting with my staff member; then I wrote a report with my findings and conclusions, and copies to Human Resourses,senior executive and the Department Head involved or Director of Nursing. I cannot remember my recommendations ever being overridden The only people that I fired had either deliberately falsified a medical record, repeatedly demonstrated clinical incompetence without improvement following attempts to retrain, or proven uncooperative and/or antagonistic and unable to work with other staff In 24 years there were only about five that had to be discharged. I made absolutely sure that I could perform any tasks or service that my department provided, so I always knew “…the rest of the story.” I worked at McAlester Regional Health Center: for 31 years with the last 24 years as Director,Respiratory Care Services: Respiratory Therapy; Pulmonary Laboratory; Bronchoscopy; and Sleep Laboratory. We never had a lawsuit or torte involving our department. I loved my work and it never seemed like work, at all…..

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that there are many fields of business in this industry. He hired on two months ago and has a hard time of listening to instructions and following specific directions. He also wants to argue and debate about everything I'm trying to teach him. At two months of training, he should be pretty close to understanding our company's way of doing things, since it's pretty much the same thing day in and day out. We have butted heads a couple of times due to his lack of listening to direct instructions. Pretty much since day one. This happens at least three times a week.

Today, I had my fill of him not doing what he was told and told him that all I had to do was make one phone call to all of our other techs and no one would answer his calls or offer any help. And he would be out there on his own trying to figure out what I've been trying to teach him for two months. I flat out told him I wasn't answering his calls. I also told him that I've trained guys that had zero experience in our line of work that were ready to break out on their own in two months, and here we are two months in, and you haven't grasped 15% of what you need to know.

The only thing he listened to me about today was for him to go sit in his work truck and think about I had said. 30 minutes later he comes back and started talking about earning respect. My damn face turned red, and I lit into him again. This has nothing to do respect. This is about you listening and doing what you are asked/told to do. No debate, no back talk, just do it.

I've talked to my boss about this at least three times in the past two months. He knows this guy is a problem. Today, I called him and told him I've done all can do with him. It's time for someone else to have a crack at him.

Thanks, for letting me vent.
I suspect this guy is about due for his ride to the ‘Train Station.”

Latest posts

Top Bottom