Legal Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shady

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of these....

ai454.photobucket.com_albums_qq265_ShadyShay_album_07_Draco_Champion_Pistol_7_62x39.jpg

and would like to turn it into one of these......

ai454.photobucket.com_albums_qq265_ShadyShay_album_ak47.jpg

My first question is:

Is it legal?

2nd

Where to start?

Thanks for the help!:anyone:

Grumulkin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1. It would be legal.

2. It would appear that what you have is a handgun. It's OK to make it into a rifle but probably not OK to turn it back into a handgun if you every wished to do so. Being somewhat unusual, it would seem to me that if you wanted a rifle, you could probably sell it for enough to buy an AK 47 rifle without going to all the trouble and expense of turning the one you have into a different configuration.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm no NFA expert but if you are talking about changing out the rear trunnion so you can mount a stock on it then it becomes a short barrel rifle (SBR). I would pose this same question in the NFA section of the forum and those guys will give you an idea of the steps needed to make it legal.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IIRC, you cannot put a shoulder stock on a pistol even if you swap out the barrel for one 16"+. I could be wrong here so you really should post your question in the NFA section as stated.

septic_shock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Google "Draco SBR". There are several threads to where owners have mounted a stock to the Draco. This does involve applying for the tax stamp and paying the $200 to the Gubment.

From what I've seen, most are drilling and tapping the existing rear trunnion and mounting an ACE folding stock mount. Once done, any of the Ace modular stocks will work

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could buy a AK for what it would cost to turn that Draco into what you have pictured.

Thank you........I will post it in the NFA section and will look into selling it to get the full size

This! If you are talking about taking the AK pistol and changing it out to a regular-barrel length AK, you would be going in the hole. AKs have come way down in price. J and G sales has some great deals on them. I could have bought my AMD from them and saved some $ but I opted to buy it here and support a local dealer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom