Here come da Judge!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
6 months has passed since I've ordered a Judge in the 3" barrel, and 3" chambers in brushed stainless.

I have a box of 3" #6 shot, a box of 3" #4 shot, three boxes of Win .0000 buck, a box of Golden bear .0000 buck, and 20 rounds of .45 long colt hp.

Going to give it a range test, and I'll report back later.:D:D

Wizard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of getting one myself but I cant make myself pull the trigger. I keep spending the money on other things lol.

Jholmes

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was all set to buy one of these, until I test fired one at the H&H show last weekend. I was disappointed that the gun malfunctioned on the 1st shot and could not be opened or the cylinder rotated. Comment from the rep was that that happens occasionally. That remark did not give me confidence that it would function properly when my wife or I would need it most.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, took it to the range. I brought some Win 3" #4 birdshot shells.
Some Golden Bear 3" with #4 buck(5 pellets),
some Federal 3" #4 buck,
and some 250 Gr JHP .45 Colt ammo.

I put a head/torso sillouette target on our target stand that uses 1/2" thick conveyor belting material that is polyester reinforced. Similar to a tire.
At 5 yds the first shot was at the head with the #4 birdshot. You would have definetly had pellets in your eyes, more than likely resulting in blindness. Threat over.
Most of the pellets did not pass thru the belting material. A few did. I suspect one went in, and the one behind it pushed it through.
Next I tried the Win #4 buck. At 5 yds they hit in a 4" group. The Golden Bear #4 buck all pretty much hit in the same 1" group. I think they are encased by a reverse wad, as the wad was sticking in the target backwards.
When I walked up to the target, I noticed several flattened pellets on the ground in front of the target. Upon closer examination, I think none of the #4 buck pellets penetrated the belting at all, just hitting, and bouncing off.
A person with thick clothing, or a person with lots of extra girth could probably take the hit, and not result in a fatal wound.
It would hurt, and probably leave a mark, but I won't use them for defense. I understand one of the US manufacturers are coming out with .410 rounds designed for the Judge. They will have to have more speed, and be a much harder lead or steel shot to prevent the flattening which impeeds penetration.

The .45 Long Colt.....what can I say:faint::faint: No more threat.
Back to 12 yds, I could maintain a 2" and better group with the .45 shooting offhand.

I recovered some of the #4 buck pellets, and here is what they look like after bouncing off the belting.

[Broken External Image]

[Broken External Image]

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I am not sure I would rely on the .41o out of a Judge, I mean that is what the pharmacist in OKC used on the kid first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom