How do you clean them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rabbits and squirrels?

My go to method on rabbits was to use a wooden sawhorse with two 16 penny nails in the top of it about 16" apart. We would dip the rabbits into a 5 gal bucket of water to keep the hair from floating around and tie the back legs to the nails with baling wire. Strip them down to the tail, on each leg, and then get both sides and pull down. Normally that would also pull the stomach meat open, and all the guts would come out with one pull. We only pulled them down to the rib cage, took the backstraps and back legs as a whole piece, cutting them up later on a cutting board.

I never had good luck cleaning squirrels. Always got hair every where even dunking them in water, but it was better than not doing it.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For squirrels, I just cut through the tail from the bottom, but not all the way through, just enough to get through the bone then an inch or so up the back. Stand on his tail, grab the back legs and pull. Just like taking a shirt off. Only thing left will be his britches, just yank them off, lop off the head. I ain't eatin no squirrel head like some of them old timers.... if I get that hungry I'll just go shoot another squirrel.

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On rabbits - never done a one man operation - funner with friends. One man holds the back feet - cut around the hide above rear feet and other man pulls hide all they way over head, cut off head. Man holding feet is at risk of getting blood on shoes and pants. (Holder must spread legs to avoid)

Much like your nail and wire trick.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On rabbits - never done a one man operation - funner with friends. One man holds the back feet - cut around the hide above rear feet and other man pulls hide all they way over head, cut off head. Man holding feet is at risk of getting blood on shoes and pants. (Holder must spread legs to avoid)

Much like your nail and wire trick.

We started out doing like you with the 2 man method.

larkinmusic

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For squirrels, I just cut through the tail from the bottom, but not all the way through, just enough to get through the bone then an inch or so up the back. Stand on his tail, grab the back legs and pull. Just like taking a shirt off. Only thing left will be his britches, just yank them off, lop off the head. I ain't eatin no squirrel head like some of them old timers.... if I get that hungry I'll just go shoot another squirrel.

This is how I do it, but I still have trouble with getting hair all over the meat. I have found that it helps if you skin them right away. It's much easier if you have another person.

POSITIVE DISCONTENT

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you are not keeping the fur..... grab the skin at the bottom of the rib cage and make the cut long enough to get 2 fingers in. Then with first 2 fingers from both hands do a tug of war and pull. If you do it this way you dont rip the abdomen and dump the innards

J.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Squirrels: Cut across the back perpendicular to the spine, insert pointer and middle fingers from both hands on respective sides of cut, do you best Hulk ripping shirt off technique, clip off extremities with brush clippers.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Squirrels: Cut across the back perpendicular to the spine, insert pointer and middle fingers from both hands on respective sides of cut, do you best Hulk ripping shirt off technique, clip off extremities with brush clippers.

This works great for rabbits too...especially if they are still warm before rigor sets in.

Latest posts

Top Bottom