Ak 47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The AMD-65's are supposed to be nice. If you can find a cheap one, the SAR series is great. Mine came with a threaded barrel. WASRs are damn nice if you can handle and find a good one.

A lot of the things people complain about on WASRs are pretty much only because they're not as tight as higher end guns. Make sure the sights are lined up and there's not a lot of magazine wobble and WASRs are great beater guns. 10/63 if you can. AK is an AK is an AK so while it may not win a beauty pageant it'll serve you well. Hell change the wood and put some Arsenal poly furniture on it and it's just as nice.

Easiest way to get a WASR is to get four or five together and go over each one until you find the best one. The newer ones have less problems and they're decent guns and good if you just want to have some shootin' fun.

IAC 47s are 549 on Atlantic Firearms' website. I highly recommend them. Chrome lined new production US barrel put together on Bulgarian parts kits. Very good reviews. If I were to buy a factory grade 47 it'd be that one.

The century AK74s, stay away from the Tantals (polish AKs with folding stock). Terrible key-holing due to Century using 5.56 barrels. But the Bulgarian Ak74s, (fixed black stock ones) are supposed to be decent even though they have really soft metal in the barrels. So barrel life goes down some but you still probably won't wear it out for a long time unless you use it in a class two or three times a year.

Arsenals are the best and worth the money. You can also do a saiga conversion. But it's not like the WASR just bounces bullets off stuff due to it's crappy paint job and original wood furniture and the Arsenal is a competition grade shooter. It's just fit and finish and slightly better groupings and newer parts. Worth paying for, but NOT vital to a functioning and fun AK.

TL;DR version; I recommend the Inter Arms AKs (Poly: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct948.aspx and Wood: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct947.aspx) for a first rifle. If that is too much money, you can go WASR, as WASRs aren't the crap fest everyone makes them out to be as long as you inspect them for mag wobble and sight cant, but they're just not as NICE.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rickey, there's a gun show in Ardmore in a couple of weeks. There is sometimes a dealer there who follows Metcalf. He normally has several, incl Romanians. Like Brandon said, just watch for canted sights and gas tubes, and snug magazine fit, and you'll find them to be good shooters.

Have you tried Lone Grove Pawn and Gun?

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look for a receiver with the mag dimples and sights that aren't canted. Other than that you should be good.

I love my AMD and Saiga, had an MAK90 that was a great shooter, kind of regret giving that one up.

OPS has an AMD65 on their wall for $500ish.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
RE: Mag Wobble...

When I first got my SAR-2, the german bakelite that I got with it from the seller was super wobbly. I loaded it and the wobble went away. Sounded like a spray paint can when I first got it. None of my other mags wobble at all, and the bakelite actually works fantastic.

So it's mostly a non-issue and sometimes mag specific. So don't let a LITTLE bit scare you off. It's only an issue if you can move it WAY too much.

Tanampo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am currently running an Arsenal SGL31-84 AK-74 in 5.45x39. Russian build, well built, very accurate (minute of angle at 25 meters), great skeletonized side folder. Arsenal's finish sucks, but who cares? It's an AK.

Grendel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WASR 10/63. I own other AKs as well as a WASR, good bang for your buck.

He said he doesn't want a junker. Even though they aren't the cheapest out there any more, they are still pretty much bargain basement rifles.

Best deals right now are the Bulgarian AK-74s, or the Saiga rifles, which you can convert fairly easily back to the original Kalashnikov design, and it's a real Russian rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom