Ak 47

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
atlanticfirearms.com is where I quench all my AK thirsts.

Lancaster and Vector make nice AK's. I like the wood furniture so I'm not too hip on the Arsenal AK's.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saigas are really high quality (made on the same equipment in Russia that makes the current military models). You can convert them back to pistol grip and high cap pretty easily and inexpensively.

Watch out -- some of the newer Century rifles have an american-made barrel that isn't chrome lined. I greatly prefer a chrome lined barrel on an AK.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He said he doesn't want a junker. Even though they aren't the cheapest out there any more, they are still pretty much bargain basement rifles.

Best deals right now are the Bulgarian AK-74s, or the Saiga rifles, which you can convert fairly easily back to the original Kalashnikov design, and it's a real Russian rifle.

Really Grendel, a bulgy NON chrome lined ak 74 or an overpriced saiga that you have to spend more money on to do a non reliable, non factory conversion isn't my version of bang for your buck. WASR rifles aren't junkers, beaters yes but not junkers. I should know since I've had thousands of rounds through wasr aks without any issues whatsoever and own several aks from other manufactures to compare them to.

racing1g

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with 30, I have a wasr from Century and its more like your grandpas farm truck. They are ugly as sin, you can pour the crappiest oil in them and they will run, and every time you look at it you think to yourself my god how does it still work. In short they are cheap and reliable.

Oldannyboy37

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
A lot of WASR rifles can be hit or miss. If you look at one just make sure that the barrel hasn't been shot out.
You should also check and make sure the sights are not canted. It's good to check the magazine well also to make sure that it's good to go, some of the WASRs magazine wells will be super loose or super tight with magazines. I really like the ones with magazine dimples myself though, the little inward dents in the reciever. Those generally work well.

WASRs are plentiful and normally cheap but if you wanted something else the Norinco Mak 90 is an excellent rifle. There are two types of recievers that Mak 90s tend to have. Square cut, and the slant recievers. The square cut is easilly identified and has the same rear reciever shap as most AK varients, I recommend this one. The slant cut will not take most AK grips and butt stocks, I do not recomend it. My Mak 90 is a square cut, it's honestly my favorate rifle. It's uber quality for an AK, and I got it for $550.
Just look over the rifle you by and make sure it's not a junker, I.E canted sights, lousy mag well, eaten with rust or shot out.

JonathanT

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Personally I'm wanting to get an SGL21-71 to top off my collection with an AK-103 type rifle.

I already have a WASR-10 and let me tell you that if you get a good one, it's not a junker. I've only put about 1500-2000 rounds through it, but not a single fail-to-fire or jam. Only a few fail-to-feeds caused by one of my steel magazines. I use Bulgarian waffle magazines exclusively now and it functions flawlessly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom