New $100 bills start circulating Tuesday

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WASHINGTON — The new $100 bill, with an array of high-tech features designed to thwart counterfeiters, will get its coming out party on Tuesday, partial government shutdown or not.

The Federal Reserve, which has not been affected by the shutdown, will have armored trucks rolling from its regional banks around the country headed to banks, savings and loans and other financial institutions with the new C-notes.

The bills took more than a decade to develop and the introduction was plagued by production problems that set back the rollout by 21/2 years. But officials say the problems have been fixed.

Some bank customers could start seeing the new bills by Tuesday afternoon depending on how close their bank is to a regional Fed facility.

“We have 3.5 billion of these notes which we think will be more than ample to meet domestic and international demands,” said Sonja Danburg, program manager for U.S. currency education at the Fed.

The bill redesign, the first for the $100 bill since March 1996, will still have Benjamin Franklin on the front and Philadelphia's Independence Hall on the back. It also will have a number of new features that will definitely turn heads.

There is a disappearing Liberty Bell in an ink well and a bright blue three-dimensional security ribbon with images that move in the opposite direction from the way the bill is being tilted.

“The 3-D security ribbon is magic. It is made up of hundreds of thousands of micro-lenses in each note,” said Larry Felix, the director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. “This is the most complex note the United States has ever produced.”

The $100 bill is the last bill to get a make-over in a process that began in 2003 with the $20 bill. The government redesigned the greenbacks with subtle colors and other security features to make it harder for counterfeiters. The $100 bill, which is the most commonly counterfeited note outside of the United States, was redesigned with even more complex security features.

Officials stressed that the $900 billion worth of $100 bills currently in circulation will remain good and will only be gradually phased out. The $100 bill is the largest U.S. denomination in circulation and has the longest life at 15 years. The $1 bill lasts 5.9 years.

The new $100 bills will have one old feature. The signature on the bills will be that of former Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner. The signature of current Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew, who has been teased by President Barack Obama for his loopy handwriting, will start appearing once the current supply of new bills has been put into circulation.

The Fed has a website at www.newmoney.gov with information in 23 languages on the new bills.

Yeah! The recession is over now! :woohoo1: New money coming. :hyper:

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would I care about a $100 bill? I saw one a couple of years ago, but it was gone before I could catch it. They're like quail - not many around anymore.

XD-9Guy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grab the old ones before they are all in the hands of collectors fellas, the word on the street is that you can already get close to $100.00 each for them. I myself am offering up $95 each for as many as I can get my hands on. PM me if you are interested in selling.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You got that right.
totally off topic but is it weird that I have seen several quail this year 2 in my own front yard and I live in the burbs, one in coweta along a sort of countryesh road and my daughter had one in her back yard in Moore... This doesn't seem like normal quail habitat? but I'm quail dumb...

Latest posts

Top Bottom