243 300yard shooting, brass filled with lee dipper 2.8cc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes the old Lee dippers a 2.8cc yellow one.
Ha funny i loaded 3 test loads for the new lapua brass i got for the wife's .243.
Load 1: 44gr H4350 87gr Vmax
Load 2: 2.8cc scoop varget same bullet same OAL
Load 3: 2.8cc scoop IMR4064 circa 2009 same bullet and OAL

The H4350 load was weighed on a 505 beam scale.
The gun did not like this load. 7.5" group at 300 yards

I actually scooped and carded off and then weighed with the lee 2.8cc scooper..they were off by 2 tenths, I left them that way "as scooped". This was a test for WTSHTF, scooper is a better idea than a scale when you are bugged out.

Both loads of varget and 4064 hit the same area at 300 yards.
I got 1 flier from each group. I shot 4 rounds with 4064 and 3 with varget and 4 with H4350 The other 4350 rounds are way up above the paper scattered out.
Gun is Mossberg 100atr with tasco 3-9x50. Trigger was stiff today ,,probably needs a good clean and some CLP

hipoint45 099.jpg

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info, I loaded lots of rifle rounds with the dipper set in the old days camping in the deep woods. I used to keep my dipper loads on a tag in the die box for each one. Jim

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got great accuracy with the 87 gr vmax bullet. I wasnt using my dippers, using electronic powder dispenser. Good idea finiding a load with those, I should get out my reloading card and see what dipper matches my chosen powder load.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot's of folks really turn their noses up to the dippers. But when you think about it, every powder dispenser (except the electronic dispensers) work the same way. You set the dispenser to throw the volume that gives you the weight you want. Or you dip the volume that gives you the weight you want. Either way, you working with volume.

I just Lee would come up with a set that had 0.1cc spreads between dippers. Sometimes 0.3cc is just too much of a difference.

JCW355

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use stick powder for my rifle rounds and like measuring it eletronically, if I used ball type powder, dippers would be faster and a littl e more accurate. Still a great idea for bugging out.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lot's of folks really turn their noses up to the dippers. But when you think about it, every powder dispenser (except the electronic dispensers) work the same way. You set the dispenser to throw the volume that gives you the weight you want. Or you dip the volume that gives you the weight you want. Either way, you working with volume.

I just Lee would come up with a set that had 0.1cc spreads between dippers. Sometimes 0.3cc is just too much of a difference.

Dippers can be customized by putting small dabs of masking tape in the bottom. Use the thin stuff, and press it tightly into place with a rounded rod of some sort. If you are patient, you can convert dippers to custom volumes.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Pulp --
If you go to the Gun Parts Corp. website and search for Lee Dipper, a bunch of stuff comes up -- but they have the older Lee dippers (plastic), that are graduated in cubic inches. The volume of each dipper looks funny compared to CC's (like .039 cubic inch). Last time I looked, they had many sizes, at 50 cents each. (Don't know what the S&H would cost.) Anyway, these might fill in between their current CC dipper sizes.

I've seen somewhere online the conversion formula for each one (or a textbook would probably tell how to do it.)

Here's the link (crossing fingers for luck): http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=lee+dipper&page=6

And P.S. -- I like your cartridge loads with black powder. I may have to try that someday.

**Edited to add, from Lee Precision's website --

"The old red or black powder dippers were measured in Cubic Inches. To convert the old dippers to the new yellow dippers measured in Cubic Centimeters, you would have to use this conversion equation is as follows, or purchase new…

To convert Cubic Inches to Centimeters use this formula:

Cubic Inches x 16.387 = Cubic Centimeters"

http://leeprecision.net/support/ind...icle/View/567/27/black-and-red-powder-dippers

Latest posts

Top Bottom