Sig P220 Match Elite 10mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My review for the Sig Sauer P220 Match Elite 10mm.

This gun weighs in at about 39 ounces with a SS slide and frame. Touts a 5 inch barrel fitting for the 10mm cartridge. Comes with 2 8 round single stack magazines, beavergrip with G10 panels. I have extra large hands and it fits them very well.
The fitting of slide to frame fit of the match elite was unlike any other Sig fit i have experienced. The gun is tight, tighter and better specs than any sig 220/226/229/239/228 i have tried. Fit together better than 90% of factory production 1911's. I know this may sound somewhat farfetched but i welcome you to check it out for yourself.The trigger pull is DA was fine for a Sig, SA was light and predictable, reset with the SRT trigger was great. The finish of the pistol was good. I dont have much to say about this aspect yet since it has seen little holster use and general abuse. Finding a holster for this particular handgun is somewhat challenging but there are options. I ordered and am currently wearing it in a Galco yaqui leather belt slide type holster. Fits well and rides close to the body. Reholster and draw are fine, good quality leather holster.. Im still looking to have a custom one pancake/shoulder holster made up by Simply Rugged. Bladetech also offer 4 holster options for the 5" P220 in kydex.

Onto the firing portion,

I have ordered 7 different types of 10mm ammunition from Midwayusa.com.

Prvi Partizan Ammunition 10mm Auto 180 Grain Jacketed Hollow Poin

Hornady Custom Ammunition 10mm Auto 180 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 10mm Auto 180 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 10mm Auto 220 Grain Hard Cast Flat Nose

Hornady Custom Ammunition 10mm Auto 155 Grain XTP Jacketed Hollow Point

Glaser Pow'RBall Ammunition 10mm Auto 135 Grain

Copper Only Projectiles (C.O.P.) Ammunition 10mm Auto 155 Grain Solid Copper Hollow Point Lead-Free

I fired one full magazine of each type onto a numbered target at a range of approx. 15yards, then used the rest of each box after i grouped each magazine per target section. I fired them with left and right hand and with strong and limp wrist.

First up, Buffalo Bore 180gr- 20 rounds
The most powerful ammo i ordered and or probably available from factory. First round I had a failure to feed, I slapped the magazine base plate with my support hand and the gun sprung back into battery. I continued the rest of the mag with no problems. I assume the malfunction was a break in related since it was the first shot and was with particularly hot ammo, I ran the rest of the ammo and all other with zero malfuctions.

2.) Buffalo Bore 220gr- 20 rounds
Zero malfucntions, heavy load, medium recoil

3.) PowerBall 135gr- 20 rounds
Zero malfunctions, light recoil

4.)Hornady 155gr XTP- 20 rounds
Zero malfunctions, medium recoil

5.)Hornady 180gr XTP- 20 rounds
Zero malfunctions, medium recoil

6.) COP 155gr- 25 rounds
Zero malfucntion, light recoil

7.) Prvi Partisan 180gr- 50 orunds
Zero malfunctions, light-medium recoil, seemed less accurate

Overall: Great gun. I like it alot. I wish they had produced it in the P227 frame for a nice doublestack 10mm but Im very happy with the 8+1 anyhow. I just did not want a 1911 platform. I trust the gun to function and see the Sig quality and reliability out of this 10mm. This gun was bought intended to be a range/field sidearm used for hogs or bowhunting sidearm and will see very little to no carry use unless its a BBQ gun. I will not be using it for home defense either. I expect it to hold up to the nastiest of reloads. Very pleasant to shoot every round.

Here's a few photos from the session...

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

PHOTO OF THE SINGLE MALFUNCTION OF FIRST ROUND, BB 180GR
[Broken External Image]

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I HAVE to stop buying things so I can get one of these. That is just all kinds of cool. And, if I had the brass, I'd already be set up to reload these (albeit light loads right now).

Latest posts

Top Bottom