Anyone doing the OKC Memorial?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was there at one of the Medical Stations providing communications. If you have your license and a handheld you can volunteer next year. It is a way to help even if you cannot or don't want to run.

OKMRC put out their request for EMTs, etc for today as they do every year, hard to work out the logistics with the fam and the race to volunteer as of now.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Both ran the 5k..........they both said the 5k was full of people walking it and it clogged things up, but it's for the fundraising and not the times I guess. Daughter ran her slowest 5k ever by over 5 minutes, first time over the 28 minute mark.......she said she must have actually run a 10k, because of weaving from one sidewalk to the other trying to get through the people walking lol. She's super competitive, so she was a little bumed.......she'll get over it :)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Both ran the 5k..........they both said the 5k was full of people walking it and it clogged things up, but it's for the fundraising and not the times I guess. Daughter ran her slowest 5k ever by over 5 minutes, first time over the 28 minute mark.......she said she must have actually run a 10k, because of weaving from one sidewalk to the other trying to get through the people walking lol. She's super competitive, so she was a little bumed.......she'll get over it :)

The race management need to make a rule that the walkers stay on one side or the other and let the runners run their race without being encumbered.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is why they have corrals in the larger races, like the half and full marathon races of the weekend.

The only running I do is behind a bird dog, so I have no idea about how these things are run. I did race MotoX for 15 years or so, and if somebody gave out or was just slow, they were required to remain in the slow lane and not interfere with the racers still competing or get black flagged which meant removal from the track immediately.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
They do have the corrals, and slower runners were supposed to be at the back................seemed that worked well for the marathon/half marathon runners as they came through, didn't look like that was the case with 5k. When there's 5,000 people in the 5k, probably hard to know where the "fast to slow" transition line is lol. Walkers stay on the right would definitely work better though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom