What Is Your Longest Solo Road Trip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When my dad was sick, I drove from Pampa TX to Bismarck ND which is around 900 miles. Drove it in 14.5 hours with a stop for a power nap someplace in South Dakota.

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up my CJ7 in Long Beach CA after I came off active duty, drove to South Carolina...Took 3 1/2 weeks...A lot of great buddies who had already gotten out and too many beers to make it any shorter time...

Veritas

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Solo only: I have made more than one trip from OKC to near Logan, Ohio (south east Ohio), about 975 miles which is about 14 1/2 hours with just brief stops for gas, bathroom, and food.

Longest aided trip: My dad flew out and drove off and on with me from Fort Huachuca, Arizona, (way south of Tucson) to Washington DC. I think that was just under 2,300 miles.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
New Bedford, MA, to Las Vegas, NV, and back in 1987, driving my 1983 Plymouth Scamp. Stopped in OKC for the night each way. It was right at Christmas time. On the way back, coming through New Mexico, there was a blowing snow event. I could barely see the road sitting in the truck, but standing outside I could see for miles above the drifting/blowing snow. I followed close behind an 18 wheeler since he was sitting high above the blowing snow and could see to "blaze the trail." (I never had the chance to thank him.) Round trip was around 5,600 miles.

Woody

StLPro2A

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just returned from a two-week trip to Virginia to visit my 92-year-old mother and attend my nephew's wedding. I drove there straight through in 23 hours and 40 minutes including stops covering 1,400 miles. Not easy on a guy turning 70 in a few weeks. What's your road story?
One thing I forget to add was I only had 3.5 hours of sleep before I started the trip.
Take numerous road trips yearly in 45ft motor coach with Jeep tagging along behind. Never in a hurry any more. Drive, stop, stay, drive so continuous drives not frequent, hard to tell end of one from the start of another. Sometimes just drive one of my cars/SUVs. Did over 6300 miles in two weeks to 2019 Gun Rights policy Conference in Phoenix, then looking at new motor coaches.visiting mil buddies, Precision Rifle Event, just wandering....st. Louis/Hollis,OK (family history), hunt lease near Matador, TX/Amarillo/Phoenix/Tuscon/ElPaso/SanAntonio/Austin/Houston/Dallas/Blakely,GA (PRE event)/Orlando/Tampa/Mobile/Houston/Dallas/Mena, AR/KC,MO/StL with numerous "where's that road go" side excursions. Did 7200 miles in three weeks through all states west of Mississippi on Harley with 644 closest friends, 5 from St.Louis, on 2004 HOG Pony Express (official route was 4800mi, but we don't follow directions well). Missed 2005 Pony Express for all eastern states as Dad's health was failing, did it alone in 2017 after Dad gone, states still there. Did two Harley Iron Butt rides...1000 miles/24 hours....one across upper West (can cover a lot of miles in a blink in NE/WY/MT; second around Hawaii....like running a marathon in a phone booth getting dizzy. Do many 3000 mile runs to shoot high angle/ELR/hunt out west. Running StL to San Diego late Sept for annual Gun Rights Policy Conference by Second Amendment Foundation, probably hit 5000 before home. Will go by Phrumph, NV to store guns at buddy's home otherwise be a felon-in-waiting crossing CA state line.....traveling either coast is a ***** because of Libturd anti-gun fetish.Spent 40 years flying over US at 30,000ft seeing airports/hotels/client offices. Frequently scheuled 2-4 days before/after meeting to rent Harley to tour area, often riding 1500-2000 miles. Don't fly commercial anymore...tired of being molested by TSA...only private if I hafta get there fast. But, enjoy seeing what I flew over for so long.....beautiful, interesting country.....good, interesting people.....except those Karens....

Latest posts

Top Bottom