When can a CCWr use his weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COZICAN

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but the language tends to be obscure. Laws are written that way in order to allow flexibility in interpretation.

I'm just asking if the "another" specified in the law can be a stranger? Maybe in a scenario not unlike what took place in Texas?

Agreed. I have printed out the whole of the SDA and read and re-read until I understood. Items I found completly understandable I trashed, items I deemed needing re-read on ocassion I kept.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can use it whenever you choose. The consequences of that will be determined by the totality of the circumstances and the legal/political landscape in which the incident occurs.

It's to complex to say a) use it or b) don't use it.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can defend the life of another using the amount of force they would likely use. You are stepping into their shoes essentially. It's recommended to only use lethal force defending the life of an employee, employer, family member etc, as you dont know the situation a lot of times. However, OK law does recognize the right to defend others if there is no other option, but when defending another (unknown person) being a good witness and calling 911 is the first option.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The explanations immediately above reflect my understanding as well. I think an SDA carrier runs out of legal cover when he interjects himself into an unknown situation (ie, seeing a fistfight while driving) and brings a firearm to bear in defense of one or the other. A call to 911 is the answer there.

For example, in Arkansas last week, a CCW shopper saw a group beating a man in a Walmart parking lot. (The group turned out to be the victim's relatives.) The CCWer was never personally threatened, but approached, pulled his firearm and chased off the group. While admirable, it seems that this action would have been a violation of OK SDA, had it happened here. Someone here please correct me if I'm wrong.

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nemesis, U.S. Law Shield is offering gun law seminars in the area. The classes cost $10 and they may be able to answer some of your questions.

^^^This, plus studying the law on your own. It will likely be an unsuccessful defense when you tell the jury "but that's what they said on internet forums about when I could use deadly force".

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Just print this off and keep it with you. Seems it is ok to stop and render assistance and use deadly force if needed. This is the only story I could find locally where someone did what you were asking about.

http://www.ktul.com/story/27872732/police-investigate-shooting-at-10th-and-denver

. Tulsa Police say an off duty Oklahoma City Veteran Affairs officer was involved in a shooting Friday night.

Homicide Sgt. David Walker says officer Andrew Bryiant and his family were going to see Garth Brooks perform when they saw a man and woman fighting in the street near 10th and Denver.

Bryiant got out of his car to break up the fight. Police say the man, now identified as Rodney Walker, was reaching for a gun. That's when Bryiant drew his gun and shot Walker.

Walker was transferred to the hospital where he later died.

Homicide Sgt. David Walker says this is Tulsa's 5th homicide of 2015.

Mechanicalmehem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In public. Only when I'm personally threatened? If I'm with my wife and she's threatened with bodily harm from an attacker? What if some guy walks into the mall with a rifle and opens fire?

It seems I remember that in OK, it's only in defense of yourself or an immediate family member. One is forbidden from using lethal force with a firearm in defense of a stranger.

Thanks.

I suggest you take the basic pistol class at www.Badlandstactical.net .. They will assist you in helping you make a very clear decisive decision on what circumstances require or justify an armed responsefrom you.
--Justin

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My understanding has always been.....lethal force can only be used against lethal force; somebody punching you with their fists doesn't inherently equal lethal force. Of course even that is circumstantial as we saw with the Treyvon case, etc.(fear of loss of life or limb can be argued against an "stronger" unarmed aggressor).

Latest posts

Top Bottom