When can a CCWr use his weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In public. Only when I'm personally threatened? If I'm with my wife and she's threatened with bodily harm from an attacker? What if some guy walks into the mall with a rifle and opens fire?

It seems I remember that in OK, it's only in defense of yourself or an immediate family member. One is forbidden from using lethal force with a firearm in defense of a stranger.

Thanks.

If the guy you think you wanna shoot:

1) Has demonstrated in some way the intent to cause you or (be careful here) others severe bodily harm or use lethal force
2) Has the opportunity to perform 1)
3) Has the means to perform 1)

Then you can pull your weapon of self defense and use it in that manner. Remember - you must not have the intent to kill your attacker. Your intent is only to stop him/her from applying lethal force or severe bodily harm to you or yours.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Remember - you must not have the intent to kill your attacker. Your intent is only to stop him/her from applying lethal force or severe bodily harm to you or yours.

At least thats the story you need to tell when questioned. lol

"why did you shoot him 19 times"?
"because thats all the ammo I had".

BuckFuller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is a couple of interesting scenarios from the CCL class I took.....

I was sitting in the front row in our class. The instructor walks to the back of the room furthest away from where I was and said... Play like we are all in a QT. I'm a bad guy and I come in walk up to this guy here pointing to the person furthest away from me in the class, points a gun at the guy and says "I'm going to kill you". The instructor turns and looks across the room at me and says, "Buck, can you shoot him?'. Not really feeling like I was in immediate danger in that situation, I say No, I can't. Then he immediately turns back around and proceeds to shoot everyone in the class with his plastic gun... me being last. This just took a couple of seconds. Then he asks me again, "Buck, can you shoot him?"... my reply this time was absolutely! The instructor explained, if there is someone with a gun in the same vicinity as you, you need to be in fear of your life.

Another interesting example... Suppose you are walking down the street, you pass an alley and you see some guy beating the **** out of a woman. Can you shoot him in an attempt to help the woman? He explained that technically, you can shoot someone attacking someone else....but... it is very important that you know the circumstances. In this particular instance if you had shot the man you would have gone to jail. The lady that the man was beating on was a crack whore and just stabbed the guy three times in an attempt to rob him. He was simply fighting for his life. If you shoot him you go to jail for assisting the whore.

Food for thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom