‘Stand your ground’ law protects shooter in deadly fight over parking space: sheriff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A friend of mine on FB made a post on this and one of the comments were "any reason for a white guy to shoot and kill a black guy"

Many think that, some contend the "stand your ground" laws are inherently racist. It appears the shooter had a habit of trying to be the parking lot monitor, on the other hand the victim could have just came out and argued without becoming physical with the shooter which is the justification for the shooting. On cue the protest have started and they will focus on racism and possibly try again to draw a connection between it and gun ownership/self defense as opposed to the actions of the victim.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...round-law-under-scrutiny-after-father-n893646

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yup. I've told many people that "legally justifiable" is going to be cold comfort when they're laying in bed, knowing that the guy they lawfully killed in the road rage incident would still be here if they had just kept driving and ignored him.

Some didn't take the lesson as well as others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd hate to think I wound up killing someone over something as trivial as a damned parking spot. :(

Wait a minute, nobody was shot over a parking spot, he was shot because he violently assaulted the shooter!!

If you watch the full video, you will see that the shooter wasn't "in the face" of the woman in the car, he was talking to her.

And, the guy that got shot wasn't exactly a model citizen on his way home from Bible study.....
https://florida.arrests.org/search.php?fname=Markeis+&lname=McGlockton&fpartial=True

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's no longer an issue with the law. It's legal to point and not shoot to stop a confrontation.
Due to a similar discussion in another thread, I'm going to put on my pedant hat (again!) and take issue with your statement "...to stop a confrontation."

21 O.S. 1289.16:
Except for an act of self-defense, it shall be unlawful for any person to willfully or without lawful cause point a shotgun, rifle or pistol, or any deadly weapon, whether loaded or not, at any person or persons for the purpose of threatening or with the intention of discharging the firearm or with any malice or for any purpose of injuring, either through physical injury or mental or emotional intimidation or for purposes of whimsy, humor or prank, or in anger or otherwise, but not to include the pointing of shotguns, rifles or pistols by law enforcement authorities in the performance of their duties, armed security guards licensed by the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training pursuant to the Oklahoma Security Guard and Private Investigator Act in the performance of their duties, members of the state military forces in the performance of their duties, members of the federal military reserve and active military components in the performance of their duties, or any federal government law enforcement officer in the performance of any duty, or in the performance of a play on stage, rodeo, television or on film, or in defense of any person, one's home or property. Any person convicted of a violation of the provisions of this section shall be punished as provided in Section 1289.17 of this title.
"A confrontation" isn't sufficient; it has to be a confrontation such that you reasonably fear for life, home, or property. The discussion elsewhere concerned displaying a firearm in a nonviolent "confrontation" where one person took offense at the appearance of a cargo rack (thought it looked like a gun), and someone offered to display his own gun in response. Sorry, but no, that's not justified; there's no threat to justify pointing. Moreover, you have to have clean hands; the court will not look upon you with favor if you initiated (or escalated) the confrontation. I know somebody serving five years right now for failing on this one: it was a road rage incident, he followed the jerk to the gas station, they both got out of their cars, he came out armed.

I hope defending his honor from that middle finger was worth it to him.

The other relevant section might be 1289.25, specifically subsection J:
J. A person pointing a weapon at a perpetrator in self-defense or in order to thwart, stop or deter a forcible felony or attempted forcible felony shall not be deemed guilty of committing a criminal act.
This is the much-ballyhooed recent change (go through the legislative history at the bottom) specifically allowing for pointing without shooting...but look at it carefully, notably the boldfaced text. The "confrontation" has to constitute a forcible felony. I can be sitting at a restaurant, drinking a wholesome glass of milk, when you come up to me and start shouting all manner of profanity at me. An ugly confrontation, and swearing is still a crime in this state, but not a felony, let alone a forcible felony. Can I still draw down on you?

Not so much.

I'm sorry to get pedantic about this, but when it comes to misunderstandings that can get people jailed, injured, or killed, I think it's worth it to get things right. The best way to win a gunfight is to not have one. If that means walking away, take the insult and consider the source; as I often say, "I've been called worse by better." If you absolutely insist on drawing your gun over such things, well, I'll let you pick out the leather in my new King Air; it seems only fair, since you'll be paying for it.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
besides why were they parked in a handy cap parking space. Did they feel entitled?

There is a quote that I find very true "Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination." Thomas Sowell

here is another “The word ‘racism’ is like ketchup. It can be put on practically anything — and demanding evidence makes you a ‘racist.’” Thomas Sowell

Latest posts

Top Bottom