10/22 stock project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm up to 15 coats now. I think today was a bad day to try a coat, it was pretty chilly in the garage and the tru oil didn't feel normal and find flow as easily.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No kids here but I have some sinus troubles so I normally can't smell stuff but my wife has a nose like a blood hound so I try to keep the projects in the garage.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did 20 some coats on my Mod 12 Win Shotgun before it even started looking right. I will say I used this elaborate system mounting the stock on a lathe to slow turn it, preventing runs and thinking it would make the coating more even.

It sucked. The finger method talked about in this thread actually works much better. Your project is looking really good. Now I'm kicking my butt for not buying a 8MM Mauser the other day and doing a refinish on the stock. Love these kinds of projects.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did 20 some coats on my Mod 12 Win Shotgun before it even started looking right. I will say I used this elaborate system mounting the stock on a lathe to slow turn it, preventing runs and thinking it would make the coating more even.

It sucked. The finger method talked about in this thread actually works much better. Your project is looking really good. Now I'm kicking my butt for not buying a 8MM Mauser the other day and doing a refinish on the stock. Love these kinds of projects.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dennis- I have a dowel in my bench vise I rest it on to dry and it works pretty well, I also found out If I'm using 3 fingers instead of 1 or two it puts it on a tad thinner so I get less runs. The thing I have fought is sometimes it wants to put small bubbles in there.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys long time with out an update on this. I auctually had it just sitting in the garage until today. I wet sanded it with 600 grit and hit it with some buffing compound and wax, I needs a tad bit more wet sanding, to be hit with a better buffer, and a butt plate, but all said and done I'm happy.

I am wanting a bull barrel on it, and then I will install sling mounts and a bipod on the front, I think that will call this project complete.

Latest posts

Top Bottom