10 Rules for Trading in Long Term Survival Scenarios

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a food grade form, it's used to keep weevils and such under control in dry goods like grains and legumes.

Ah, nice. I try to freeze my grains before storing them, but it would make sense to keep some of the stuff you're talking about if I didn't have electricity to freeze the bugs. Thanks.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the Diatomaceous earth used for? I'm not familiar with it.

DE is also a good item for people to take as well. I make my own capsules and use it once and while to keep the system cleaned out.
2 other good things along this line are Bentonite Clay and Phyllium seed powder.

As far as salt goes, you can buy bulk sea salt at a huge savings. I arranged a group buy for several friends, we bought from a company
that sold Atlantic Sea Salt, don't buy anything that comes from the Pacific Ocean, not now. This can be used for canning and meat
preservation. Makes a valuable barter item. I have several hundred pounds, that is how valuable I think it will be. PM me if you want my
source.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's the Diatomaceous earth used for? I'm not familiar with it.

It's also good for just about any kind of bug control. Sprinkle it around the outside perimeter of your house to keep bugs out. Sprinkle it in the carpet and on the floors for to get rid of fleas (just be careful because it will scratch laminate, and wood surfaces) ... Pretty nifty stuff to have around.

I'm not a wikipedia freak, but here's a pretty decent list of things you can do with it ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth This is by no means all inclusive ...

Also, if you are wanting to buy bulk salt there are salt mines here in Oklahoma that mine salt with natural iodine in it. Here's a short history lesson: http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/S/SA010.html There's no reason to buy sea salt when you can get naturally iodized salt here ...

Last edited:

Mike_60

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Permethrin based dog powder (flea and tick).

I am surprised no one asked be about this choice. I guess I was baiting a little bit for a response, but truthfully, I didn’t have the time to go into more detail when I posted, so here goes. :naughty:

This isn’t for your fur-children because it’s for you. Permethrin is a great pesticide that is not known to cause problems in mammals, with the exception of cats, it’s the tongue thing. There is one other caveat about Permethrin, and that is Permethrin 38 (a highly concentrated form) will make body parts fall off, so be careful with it. I use the regular stuff for all sorts of things, including getting rid of wasps (powdered) and mosquitoes (liquid) around my house; it’s kind of like the WD-40 of the pesticide world. :gun2:

To why way of thinking, if a SHTF situation occurred old nemesis’ that have plagued mankind and grade school kids forever would make a strong comeback. I’m talking about lice and scabies. And Permethrin is what is used in the medications to treat these infestations. When our collective immune systems have become compromised from nutritional changes, and hygiene becomes somewhat spottier, along with a move to a more agrarian type lifestyle. These pests will start chewing their way through our collective hides with a vengeance. And that’s when everyone will come running wanting to trade with me for my little bags of powdered miracles. :bolt::woohoo1:

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I had never even heard of Diatomaceous earth. Sounds like some pretty cool stuff. Something else to read about. Thanks for the tip ladies/gentlemen.

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FerFal's book is pretty hard to find but I discovered a copy from a prepper's store over in Calico Rock, Arkansas (at the Springfield, MO USA Prepares expo). They didn't have too many copies and the owner mentioned that he'd found the copies he had over in Europe. BTW, I highly recommend attendance at that one; there's some high-powered folks who're willing to give you a lot of their time for discussions. I was seriously impressed with Larry Pratt, executive director of Gun Owner of America.

Anyways.... Ferfal's and Selco's points of view are similar in that they both lived through urban chaos. Ferfal basically poo-poos a total grid down situation as it's not what he lived through, and is apparently going to get to live through again soon. His experience is that society will somehow continue to function and people will go to work every day - perhaps dodging criminal roadblocks and having to shoot their way into or out of their household, but that eventually the police will come to take a statement or something. I somehow think that this may not be the case in our country but perhaps I'm wrong about that. I'm not questioning the dedication of our peace officers at all; I'm judging that things here will be different compared to a country which went into financial crisis by defaulting on its international loans - in FarFel's case, or by being the epicenter of a religious/tribal war with centuries of memories behind it, in Selco's case.

Regardless, both are invaluable sources as far as I'm concerned, because - as it's been mentioned - they've both lived through the chaos instead of theorizing what is going to happen. That's why I think both their points of view and their survival tips are crucial to us all.

As a side note to another thread, FarFel highly recommends body armor in his book.

There will be denial as the system is in the process of failing, and that becomes the critical issue to observe, imho.

Latest posts

Top Bottom