100% Gas Gone on 1 May????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lost of things but we will stay on this issue since everyone thinks they lose 10mpg and their lawnmowers will die with eth.

Rolls eyes, unsubscribed.

I loose 1 to 2 mpg when i drive. That doesn't sound like much but when you get 16mpg on 100% gas... 6% loss in fuel economy. But whatever, your words is better than my personal experience and the experience of other people echoing the same thing.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Grassland is being converted into subsidized corn crops to make the stuff. This leads to less wildlife in monoculture fields, more fertilizer run off in to the river systems, erosion, etc. I could go on and on. Quail, ducks, pheasants will no longer have cover.

Even if the corn used for ethanol isn't edible, that land could be used to feed people instead of cars. Ethanol is the answer for environmentalist that are to ignorant to think about the chain effect of their actions.

We should NEVER use a food source to power vehicles.

Evidence of this? More like other crops are being diverted to corn production on crop land. Also, I was not aware of a shortage of food or excessively priced food relative to the price of everything else. With modern no till farming practices in the Midwest, there should be abundant cover for upland game birds in corn stubble. The vast majority of corn grown is genetically modified and used for cattle feed or ethanol. In fact, I believe the byproduct from ethanol production can still be utilized for feed.

Now, I'm no fan of ethanol either but it is not the end of the world to have it out there. If your car is pretty new, I wouldn't worry about E10 too much. However, they should never get rid of 100% gas because many engines require it.

I really am with you on the greenie weenies not knowing **** about the chain reactions of their policies. But let's not act like everyone is going to starve due to ethanol production.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never said there wasn't any 14 year old mowers that have used the stuff. You seem to add to the story.
BTW..The corn used for ethanol isn't edible is total BS...Go tell this to someone that believes it.......I'd try the east coast if I were you. Or maybe California

No, lawnmowers all blow up after 3 years of ethanol. This has managed to happen without a huge outcry from the public, or their ability to remember all the small engines that died prior to the advent of crappy gasoline.

The corn used for ethanol has a very thick outer skin that doesn't soften up to the point you can eat it even if you cook it for hours. You have to process it a significant amount to come up with something that can even end up in a can of soda.
I'd hope that insults would be beneath you, if your momma taught you well.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Potential for a cottage industry?
How to remove ethanol from gasoline
Here's an easier way to remove ethanol from gasoline for small quantities for lawnmowers and chainsaws:

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14679#ixzz2DqI5mMWk

goldwingdocs_com_forum_download_file_php_ec6b1a3b719ba442c4f108c40cee7135._.jpg

goldwingdocs_com_forum_download_file_php_e4e0685a4c16f7eceb6bab501454cd75._.jpg

goldwingdocs_com_forum_download_file_php_00f1f923ddd739a3473b2adfdda43a31._.jpg

goldwingdocs_com_forum_download_file_php_c898a5b2ab13637e74932029eac36b24._.jpg

goldwingdocs_com_forum_download_file_php_89eab589442d96ba4085a1ed0aa8e78a._.jpg

You will need to add an octane additive afterwards though because the ethanol is an octane booster too OR start with premium gasoline to begin with.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had mixed results from ethanol fuel. I'm not sure the problems are as big as they are hyped to be, but there are definitely some issues.

My DD VW Passat (2.8l V6) gets about the same mileage, ethanol or real gas, as long as it is premium.

My wife's DD Jeep Cherokee (4.0l I6) gets around 10% less mpg with ethanol.

My CJ7 (304 V8) gets significantly lower mileage with ethanol, it will drop from it's usual stellar 14mpg down to 8-9mpg.

Ironically, my small engines have all seemed to do fine with ethanol, however, I do NOT store any gas in the engines and always run them dry.

My outboard engines (both older 70's model OMC's) seem to always have one carb or fuel pump problem or another, which usually gets attributed to ethanol gas but seems to happen when I use 100% gas too, so who knows.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I mentioned in a previous post about the station owner here who had to give up one tank and mid-grade "real" gas because he was being forced to "also" sell E10 so they came, cleaned out one of his tanks, refitted his pumps, etc. Have noticed as I've been driving by that his "E10" nozzles are all plastic bag covered - asked why today and he said that his equipment was leaking everywhere; blamed it on the ethanol eating up the seals in his pumps, etc.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Crap...or not; hype...or not; bogus...or not...

I know for a fact, I have spent good money to a Harley dealership in Abilene, TX for repairs to my fuel system due to ethanol use. I have only used it when I was traveling and that's all the out of state jerks had available.

Personally, I see the only need for ethanol to be for an enema in the anal orifice of those pushing it/mandating it for the masses. :finger:
Other than this, there is absolutely no practical use for it whatsoever.

Latest posts

Top Bottom