10mm/40 caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I bet you could load a .401 TC profile bullet out enough to get the round to kinda headspace correctly. Heck I bet the thing would fire off the extractor with standard ammo.

May be bad juju though, let us know if you try.

Officially I say don't do it, you have your own free will.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know about dropping in a different barrel. He said I can shoot it as is.

As a practical matter, the extractor on a 1911 may well hold the .40 enough for it to fire. I have accidentally put a .380 in a magazine of 9mm and fired it through a Paraord.

This is not exactly what I would call a good idea to do intentionally on a regular basis. You may find all or part of the extractor has "departed the fix without authorization." :ooh2:

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The salesman that told you that, truely, needs to be fired. Whatever caliibre is marked on the gun is the only ammo you feed it. My .357 says ".357 mag/.38 spec". You WILL NOT see a dual cartridge marking on ANY 10mm semi-auto. You WILL NOT see "9mm/.380" marked on ANY 9mm semi-auto. Semi-auto handguns headspace on the mouth of the cartridge brass. 40S&W brass is shorter than 10mm so at the very least the cartridge wiil try to go deeper into the chamber than it's suppose to. Your bullet will also have to jump a short distance before it hits the ledge in the chamber the mouth is suppose to be resting on. You may also run into problems with the extractor engaging the rim properly because the cartrigde is allowed to sink into the chamber farther. I wont even start with feeding problems. Hopefully, you can see the salesman was irresponsible at the very least and you should never accept gun info from him again.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, I would never do something as stupid as to what this guy said. I was just curious as if he new something I didn't. Come to find out he doesn't. Was just curious as if anyone else has done this, and was it possible.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If anyone did it, they are not very smart. If they got away with it, without damaging their gun, they are very lucky. Rebated rim cartridges get their headspacing from the case length.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was told today by a Gentleman at Gene Sears you can shoot a 40 cal. out of a 1911 10mm. He said it was the same concept as the 38 out of a 357mag. Do any of you have any first hand knowledge of this, have you ever seen or done it?

The 40 S&W and 100mm are rimless and headspace on the case mouth thus you should not fire a 40 S&W in a 10mm 1911 barrel. The 40 S&W round might fire if the extractor holds the round in place but I would not recommend it. The 38 Special/357 mag interchange is an entirely different story since both cartridges headspace on the rim.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys, I would never do something as stupid as to what this guy said. I was just curious as if he new something I didn't. Come to find out he doesn't. Was just curious as if anyone else has done this, and was it possible.

Sorry. From your OP I got the impression you were thinking about maybe giving it a try.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The 40 S&W and 100mm are rimless and headspace on the case mouth

In theory yes; in practice, usually no.

If one was a experienced reloader, Id say, grab some 180s or 200g bullets and have at it.

But what do I know, I dont have time to read magazine articles, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom