Mourning Doves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieShutr

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Not necessarily hunting but I think this is a little on the cool side. We've got a pair over doves that for probably 5 or 6 years have been nesting in the gutter on our front porch. Each year we watch them come and go, repair the nest, lay and sit on the eggs then care for the little ones once they hatch. Well, yesterday this year's babies left the nest. They were sitting under the edge of one of the dormers yesterday morning and on the top of the roof later in the afternoon. While I was watching and talking to them a bit one flew to the back yard. A little later the second one left. I don't know if they have more than one brood per year but it looked like mama bird was back at the nest this morning. Pretty neat.

FlyGuyGSP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not necessarily hunting but I think this is a little on the cool side. We've got a pair over doves that for probably 5 or 6 years have been nesting in the gutter on our front porch. Each year we watch them come and go, repair the nest, lay and sit on the eggs then care for the little ones once they hatch. Well, yesterday this year's babies left the nest. They were sitting under the edge of one of the dormers yesterday morning and on the top of the roof later in the afternoon. While I was watching and talking to them a bit one flew to the back yard. A little later the second one left. I don't know if they have more than one brood per year but it looked like mama bird was back at the nest this morning. Pretty neat.
Your birds must be defying the odds. I don’t think they typically live that long.

Latest posts

Top Bottom