12% failure rate in my loading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Look overcrimped to me. Have you measured the diameter at the case mouth and compared it to specs listed ion your load manual? Also, when I switched to an EGW undersized sizing die and Lee Factory Crimp Die, all my problems went away, even with Glocked brass.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If those had come off my 650 I would do a couple things. 1 back off station one and station 5. Which on your 550 should be 1 and 4 I think (have never used a 550). On station 2 I set mine up to bell the cases to ~.358 on an empty I had trimmed down to .752". (Oh, HELL no! I do not trim all those 9 cases that go through it! NO FING way!) That just seems to be a happy medium between the long ones and short ones that people leave for me at the range. As for that case gauge, I do not own one for pistol calibers, instead as suggested above I just have a barrel out of either the sig or cz sitting handy and as I refill the primer hopper I will spot check a couple using the "plunk" test. If they fall in (honestly never have not had one not after I got the tool head set up) I go back to pulling on the handle. As for the "GLOCKED" comment above, about 1/3 of the brass I have run through has had that distinct striker fired square primer indention when it goes in, works just fine when it comes out. Biggest problem I have is when the odd .380 case gets in the mix, those are a pain. Oh, wait till you run a 38 super through those 9mm dies! That Dillon will absolutely EAT IT up! LOL. Best of luck.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, here ya go:

i974.photobucket.com_albums_ae225_radarmonkey73_2013_01_01_17_43_39_46_zps9289144d.jpg

This pic is particularly disturbing. It really does look like you are crumpling the case with your crimp. Still hard to tell for sure. Back your crimp die completely off and see if your bulge is still there. To readjust raise the shell plate to max and screw the die down on it by hand real hard (with a seated bullet in the station). Lower shell plate and go about 1/3 turn more on the crimp die and try it there. As GTG mentioned your crimp should be measuring about .002" at the most.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glocked brass and over crimped. Like DG said, check your dies. If not redding makes a die to 'de glock' brass, or I just use my lee full length resizing die

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130102_185600_zpsf2f751a1.jpg

[Broken External Image]

i1171.photobucket.com_albums_r554_drewjordan_20130102_191219_zps1177f7f0.jpg

I decided to conduct a little experiment. The photo shows a round fired from a G17 that was severely over taper crimped. It measured .375" with appropriately applied taper crimp and then I screwed my taper crimp die down as far as I could feasibly get it. It sized is down to .363", a .012" taper crimp. This is about 4 times the recommended book amount. The case is deformed at the mouth, but I still have enough case mouth tension to hold the round. I couldn't get the crimp any tighter with my single stage press. The Full Length size die is appropriately set to remove (minimize) the Glock bulge that has been discussed.

The cases in the 2nd round of pictures are definitely wrinkled. After conducting this experiment I am not so sure your problem lies in the crimp. Even if you are over crimping, I highly doubt it is to this extreme. As the pictures show, it will still properly seat in a case gage. Revisiting the sizing die may be the solution. What brand of dies are you using?

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the EGW (or Lee) "U" die and a Lee taper crimp die. Those 2 dies have not given me a loading issue in over 15,000 rounds. I don't even case gauge my ammo anymore.
When I first started I tried using the the roll crimp built in the Hornady dies and that was was no bueno. I didn't know better at the time. I'm a believer in separate seat and crimp dies.
From the pictures it sure looks like you are squashing the cases with too much crimp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom