12% failure rate in my loading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the EGW (or Lee) "U" die and a Lee taper crimp die. Those 2 dies have not given me a loading issue in over 15,000 rounds. I don't even case gauge my ammo anymore.
When I first started I tried using the the roll crimp built in the Hornady dies and that was was no bueno. I didn't know better at the time. I'm a believer in separate seat and crimp dies.
From the pictures it sure looks like you are squashing the cases with too much crimp.

The roll crimp may be at play in this scenario from the OP as well. You never want to roll crimp a cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In case it hasn't been already mentioned or done-

When setting up your sizing die, it needs to "Bottom out" on your press. Anything less and you won't fully resize the case. Your pics show what looks to be less than fully resized cases.

Did they drop in/ fit into your barrel?

A set of calipers and a SAAMI illustration of a 9x19 cartridge may shed light on what is the sticking point.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I set my resizing die flat on the the shell plate THEN raise it a tad; about a 1/2 turn. Check your cartridge overall length (COL). Too long there will be trouble. I just ran a batch of 147 gr Zero HP's at a COL of 01.127"; they run fine out of a Bar-Sto as well as stock Glock chambers. Taper crimp with this particular bullet was .375" -.0005

Taper crimp is a real monster. Too much and you screw up the bullet diameter, hence loose accuracy. Too little and the bullet backs into the case during chambering process; very bad creating high pressure problems. The TC used for lead bullets is not the same used for jacketed. The TC used for some jacketed bullets doesn't work right with other diameter bullets. Throw in some thinner wall cases, like CCI Blazer brass, and it gets tricky.

You have to set TC to be safe with the thinnest brass you are loading. My test is to push the nose of a loaded round, in the thinnest walled case I'm using, against a wood surface. If the bullet telescopes inward, then more TC is needed. Repeat test again until no more inward telescoping.

When you change bullets you are loading, or even the lot of brass, you need to re-check TC for safety.

okc4956

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a look at a set of Dillon dies. They are pricey but they cured some 45 ACP crimping issues for me a few years back. I've since switched to Dillon on most all of my pistol stuff (at least what I load with my 650) and have had very few issues. I think that the brass just grows at the bottom after a while and has to be roll sized anyway at some point as the sizing die does not really reach the very bottom of the case wall because some of it is covered by the shell holder. I usually set those aside and fire them in revolvers only. I've noticed that usually even tho they won't chamber in a case guage, most times they will chamber in a revolver or even a loose chambered auto. Just use caution firing them in a loose chambered auto because if it does happen to fire out of battery, you won't like that. All that said, now you have an excuse to get a 9mm revolver:)

radarmonkey

Let's go Brandon
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, it's clear, I don't know WTF I'm doing. Ok, well I am using Dillon dies. The consensus seems to be that I am over crimping and possibly over flaring the cases. I will have to try and make some adjustments when I get home in a couple of weeks. Thanks guys for all of the responses.

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I had a sort of similar thing happen to me when I started using a lee pro 1000 to load 9mms. Had used a single stage for 35 years with no problems. After too many rounds, I noticed some, actually a bunch, of my loaded cases looked kinda bulged and buckled. At this point I would like to say, that the only thing good about getting old, is getting out of jury duty. and old peoples day at the thrift stores. Anyway. my first thought was over crimp, or under bell mouth. or bullets to large for my expander plug. to spare any more B.S. the expander plug was turned in too far,and the shoulder at the top of it was striking the tops of some of the cases. I also like the lee factory crimp die, but in my expereince. if things are done correctly, it's seldom needed. I love my lee pro, it allows me to produce mistakes, at rate I would have thought impossible years ago.

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you seating and crimping in the same step? If cases are not the same length then the crimp will not be the same. From a couple of your pictures it looks like the case has been crimped before the bullet was seated fully. This is why I seat and crimp in separate steps. Put simply, the bullet is crimped, then continuing to seat will cause the bulge under the bullet base.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
agree with most of the above, but 6 out of 50? well I might say to ensure you stroke your handle all the way up and all the way down to ensure you size the whole case and crimp and seat properly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom