12 Gauge Darts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your mini 14 is having problems, if you have aftermarket mags that is probably the culprit. For some reason not many people make good aftermarket magazines for them.
The problem kind of is the mags, or a should say the mags and certain ammo. The Promags worked ok with standard 55 grain 5.56 ammo, but I had failures to feed, eject and even fire with some FC 223 55gr ballistic tip.

I got to looking closely and the rounds are a bit to long and drag on the inside of the magazine. While the outside dimensions of the plastic mags are correct, the inside is just a hair smaller due to the thickness of the walls. This causes the nose of the bullet to point down a bit preventing it from feeding correctly. Something tells me using ammo with slightly shorter bullets will solve most of my problems.

I am hoping to get out to the gun club early part of next week when it is cooler and do some more testing with various ammo.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem kind of is the mags, or a should say the mags and certain ammo. The Promags worked ok with standard 55 grain 5.56 ammo, but I had failures to feed, eject and even fire with some FC 223 55gr ballistic tip.

I got to looking closely and the rounds are a bit to long and drag on the inside of the magazine. While the outside dimensions of the plastic mags are correct, the inside is just a hair smaller due to the thickness of the walls. This causes the nose of the bullet to point down a bit preventing it from feeding correctly. Something tells me using ammo with slightly shorter bullets will solve most of my problems.

I am hoping to get out to the gun club early part of next week when it is cooler and do some more testing with various ammo.
These are reloads with Hornady vmax 55gr. Barely any room left but sit straight in factory Ruger mag.
IMG_20220623_225550118.jpg

IMG_20220623_225542265.jpg

IMG_20220623_225526780.jpg

I have not tried shooting these in my mini. Just a reference for you.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you thinking these would be "bad"...... You would be right! THEY SUCK! I have shot both the military and civilian copies of this round. They won't even penetrate a 2X4 and very few fly straight. If I were behind a sheet of drywall I would be plenty armored if you shot from 5 yards away. You are far better served with Buckshot.

I don't know how many times this post has been repeated to this point, but it deserves another. You might not be safe behind just drywall, but the accuracy, true flight, and penetration are all abysmal. Expect about 5-10% to fly true, the rest keyhole - and as light as they are - shed velocity faster than Whoopi Goldberg walking by a chocolate cake.