16gauge...Looking at buying should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotahp1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I want a 16 Gauge. Always have shot 20 and want something more but will mostly be shooting skeet (or just clays). No real reason to move up from 20 but have a want. I like the a-5 series in style. The Reminton 11 or Savage 720 would also work. My main questions are why should I like a 16? Whats its advantage. Just wanting something new. I really like older guns. I have a old 16 ga side by side I have yet to shoot. But what auto should I get? Sweet Sixteen or pre sweet sixteen? What kind of prices?

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The plus, the 16g. throws a little more shot and is built on a smaller frame than a 12g,,, if it is a quality made shotgun to begin with. It hasn't the recoil of a 12g. It has nostalgia. On the 'minus' side, shells aren't available every where although more places carry them than in recent years past, maybe even WM if your gun will shoot them (recoil & gas operated guns require a 'standard' load, many WM shells are below the std. loading is shot weight & dram equivalent). Go ahead and satisfy your 'want', but I'd avoid the Model 11 or the Savage and go with the A-5. The Savage has an aluminum receiver and most were used hard. The model 11 was a well made gun, but again, it was a user gun and most were used hard, parts can be hard to get for either one, too. Not all Browning parts will fit the Sav. or the Rem. even though they are similar. A plus for the Browning, new parts are still available and you will find more of them that have had better care than the others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I second the A5. I traded for one a few years back, just about the time the ammo makers were really pushing the shells, and had them about $0.25 a box more than 20ga. I bought about 10 cases of shells and have shot the crap out of it.
Now I'm out of shells and have been spoiled on the prices. I can't make myself give more than $0.50 a box above 20 ga price. I only bought the cheapest shells I could find, federals, winchesters all low brass and never had any trouble jamming.
The Polychoke seriously decreases the value to true Belgium collectors, so you can pick one in the 500-800 range. That's what I have, it's a little ugly but it functions properly. Does great on doves, crows, and clays.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Sweet 16 that was my grandfather's gun in fantastic condition. Thankfully he never put one of those fugly polychokes on it. And you can get 16 gauge shells at WalMart. Take your time and get a Sweet 16 or the standard 16 A-5. There is a reason they were used so hard. They are great guns and will run and run and run.

ETA: Don't be afraid of the newer model Japanese made A-5's. They are good quality too, some say even better, they just don't have the collector value of the Belgian Brownings.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've probably heard the old saying...The 16 carries like a 20 and hits like a 12...and it seems to be true.
As Shadowrider stated, the Miroku A-5's are as good or better than the Belgians, but don't have the mystique to command the higher prices. They have the fit and finish that will rival the FN guns and are great shooting shotguns that will last several lifetimes. Also, if you are a water-fouler, the newer A-5's will handle steel shot with no problems, providing you aren't using a full choke.
Good luck in your quest!

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've probably heard the old saying...The 16 carries like a 20 and hits like a 12...
and it seems to be true.
An old friend of mine said "Kicks like a 12 and shoots like a 20." So pick your old saying.

Nostalga comes at a price. If you can tolerate the limited ammo varieties, or if you reload, the 16 is certainly a usable shotgun. If you are into upland hunting, look smaller and see what the 28 will do for you. It kills better than the 20 for me. CB

Latest posts

Top Bottom