Wiring my shed, looking for some electrician type input

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking for some electrician advice/input on a home project. I just had a shed put in and want to run some electric but not sure what direction on a couple of things. I have a hot tub panel already nearby that has an open breaker slot I plan on using.

I want maybe 4 lights and 4 outlets, will run a forced air heater (2A draw) from time to time but not much else. I plan on running 12 ga on a 20A breaker underground from the box to the shed using rigid metal conduit (RMC). From what I’ve been able to deduce, it needs to be a min of 6” underground, I don’t want to dig any deeper than I have to, so I’d like to not go with PVC. This is in my backyard not going under kind of driveway or sidewalk. I’ll get the wire into the shed using an LB on the side of the building.

What do I use to join the conduit together? I don’t have any way to thread the conduit, is RMC typically already threaded? If not a threaded fitting, would I use a compression fitting? I’ll need to connect to the LB, how would I do that after I cut it without being able to thread it? Same I suppose for the breaker panel I’ll be using.

I don’t think this will be very hard to do, I just don’t know what a lot of these piece parts are called, what options I may have and what I can/can’t use underground.

Thanks.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are rigid compression connectors and couplings. But they are fairly expensive. The sticks of conduit are threaded each end and you can use threaded couplings, which there should be one include on each stick.
Actually the price at Lowes for 2 connectors is not bad. Technically they are not rain tight but they have been used outdoors for many many years.

What forced air heat draws 2 amps.

Last edited:

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes. Threaded 'couplings', [collars] underground. Suggest some kind of sealant on threads since they will leak some over the years underground. and rigid compression connectors for terminating conduit.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I cannot believe the price of conduit these days. And copper. Electricians must be pulling their hair out.
Be sure to use a GFCI breaker on that 20 amp breaker.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I spent many years working as an Electrician and helper. We never used metal conduit underground. It will rust out to quick. Use PVC or UF cable and save yourself a lot of headaches down the road. You may have to dig a little deeper but it will pay off in the long run.

If you are planning on using any large power tools out there, use at least a 30 amp breaker and 10 gauge wire for the main run. You can use 12 inside the shed. . Also remember the longer the run, the more voltage drop you will have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom