16gauge...Looking at buying should I?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uh oh better fill me in on what guns can and can not use steel shot. Im lost here. I just assumed they all could steel shot.

Thanks
Kris

There are 16ga steel loads that can be shot in guns with screw-in chokes rated for steel. If it eventually damages the choke, screw in another.
All the old Belgian Browning fixed choke barrels are too soft for steel, and will be ruined by it.

IMHO, better a 12ga for steel, as the 2 3/4 16ga shell does not have enough room for the less-dense steel..

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if your wanting to shoot skeet, the recoil is a HUGE factor. I shoot a couple of times per week and everyone has gone to reloading to make a lighter shell - not save any money. recoil can beat you to death when you are shooting 100 and 200 shells. then you start flinching and then your score goes down.

12 and 20 guns are everywhere. 16 gauge i am not so sure.

if you want to shoot competitive skeet, you shoot 12, 20, 28, 410. you can shoot the 16 in the 12 competition but the recoil is about the same and you are throwing less lead. it is a disadvanage.

12 & 20 reloaders and supplies are easy to find. store bought shells are easy to find. 16, again i am not so sure.

to me the 16 is not a practical gun. you might as well shoot a 12, a 16 does not really buy you anything.

also, if your shooting skeet much, you might go through 2 to 10 guns before you find the right one. you have a large selection and for good prices in 12 and 20.

i do not know anyone that shoots a 16 in skeet or trap.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry for dragging this post up from the dead, but, as my username would suggest, GO WITH THE A5!!! I use my 16 for upland and 12 for waterfowl. These guns are tanks! Dont worry about kick, the weight of them keeps the gun from moving back as quickly.

carleb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll keep kicking this too. IMHO, you've never had a real shotgun until you've had a "Sweet Sixteen", cause they are so classic and "Sweet"! Well, I'm sure there are others that might compare in that catagory, but what a nice gun. I suppose they don't really fit in official trap & skeet. But dang, they are so sweet! Even if you don't keep it forever (which I bet you do) you should give it a go, even if it's just to make others come over and want to look at it every time you have it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom