18 Iconic Products America Doesn't Make Anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mons meg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let's not confuse Manufactuing jobs with actual manufacturing. This has been a trend since the Industrial Revolution started. per capita manufacturing output in the US has never been higher.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more, the South Bend Lathe(s). The guy who owns Grizzly and Shop Fox bought the company and name. Now they are imported just like everything else (of course, if they weren't they'd cost as much as a darn house).

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
that is just the way it is... i just launched a new business (rc props) where the average price is around 65-70 dollars (retail), i only wanted to manufacture in the USA, the lowest quote i got 99 per prop MY COST.... so i mean what else am i supposed to do?

DPI

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a perfect example.

You can buy Levis that are made in America. Or you can buy Levis that are not made in America.

The 501 Original (imported) sells for $59.50 on the Levis site.

The 501 Original - Sahara (Made in the USA) sells for $198.

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How about Boy Scout of America shirts, pants, hats, merit badges, rank patches, and so on. Every patch on Terran's is from..... ready for this???

CHINA!!! Oh crap! They own the Boy Scouts of America too?!?!??!!??

Super Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One more, the South Bend Lathe(s). The guy who owns Grizzly and Shop Fox bought the company and name. Now they are imported just like everything else (of course, if they weren't they'd cost as much as a darn house).

Hey, my Chinese lathe (JET) was over $6000! That IS a small house in a run down town!!! My mill is a XLO (Excello), which is Canadian. At least it speaks mostly English, eh?

JRSherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like to have any Jeans made in America. I remember when Wranglers used to last me 3 years. Seriously, and I was a kid on a farm for crying out loud!

As far as South Bends go, I don't know what you mean that they don't cost as much as a house. I've got the Grizzly catalog right here, and they start out at $10k for the small ones, and run over $30k. I guess I'll just be happy to get my little Logan/Montgomery Wards Powr-Kraft lathe running! It didn't cost me anything, but I've got a good bit of work and paint in it so far lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom