18 Iconic Products America Doesn't Make Anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edgar Derby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
http://madeinusanews.com/2010/11/07/19-iconic-products-that-america-doesnt-make-anymore-read-more/

Rawlings Baseballs
Etch a Sketch
Converse Shoes - Cuck Taylors are awesome!
Rebar
Mattel Toys
Minivans
Vending Machines
Levi Jeans
Radio Flyer's Red Wagon
Televisions
Cell Phones
Railroads
Dell Computers
Canned Sardines
Pontiac Cars
Forks, Spoons, and Knives
Incandescent Light Bulbs

What does the U.S. still make? If we don't bring back tariffs and equal trade I don't think were going to last much longer. What do you think?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its been this way forever. When I was stationed in the Far East, the import duty on an American built product was 100% of the selling price. The US, charges little if anything for an import duty/tax.
Other countries protect their manufacturing base, as its how their economy survives, but we don't care about that.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://madeinusanews.com/2010/11/07/19-iconic-products-that-america-doesnt-make-anymore-read-more/

Rawlings Baseballs
Etch a Sketch
Rebar
Mattel Toys
Minivans
Vending Machines
Levi Jeans
Radio Flyer's Red Wagon
Televisions
Cell Phones
Railroads
Dell Computers
Canned Sardines
Pontiac Cars
Incandescent Light Bulbs

What does the U.S. still make? If we don't bring back tariffs and equal trade I don't think were going to last much longer. What do you think?

dont forget plymouth is gone too......and saturn
and hotwheels have been made in malaysia or china since i was little.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its been this way forever. When I was stationed in the Far East, the import duty on an American built product was 100% of the selling price. The US, charges little if anything for an import duty/tax.
Other countries protect their manufacturing base, as its how their economy survives, but we don't care about that.

Remember transistor AM radios dennishoddy? I know you do. I remember my first one and it was 100% American made with a leather case and a carry strap. TI I believe.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't care as much about toys and yoyo's being built elsewhere but I like to keep gun manufacturing on the homefront.

At least, for now, freedom is still manufactured here and our quality of that is better than anywhere else in the world.

:patriot:

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Rawlings Baseballs
Etch a Sketch
Rebar
Mattel Toys
Minivans
Vending Machines
Levi Jeans
Radio Flyer's Red Wagon
Televisions
Cell Phones
Railroads
Dell Computers
Canned Sardines
Pontiac Cars
Incandescent Light Bulbs

We called our last experiment with a protective tariff The Great Depression. Do you have a name in mind for your proposal?

As I consider the list, am I to understand that all of these are gone due to the lack of a protective tariff? If that is so, then I find some errors on the list. A good example would be the incandescent light bulb. I think its demise can be better attributed to misguided legislative action rather than the lack of a tariff. It is a rarity to be able to assign one root cause to an obviously complex matter so it would be a stretch, IMO, to choose a tariff as the solution to bring these products back to US manufacturing.

BTW, did you know that the US only recently was superseded by China as the world's leading manufacturing country? This ended a 110-year run of the US as the world's leading manufacturing entity. Link below from 3/10/2011:

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/tags/us/china-vs-us-manufacturing-comparison

Edgar Derby

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We called our last experiment with a protective tariff The Great Depression. Do you have a name in mind for your proposal?

As I consider the list, am I to understand that all of these are gone due to the lack of a protective tariff? If that is so, then I find some errors on the list. A good example would be the incandescent light bulb. I think its demise can be better attributed to misguided legislative action rather than the lack of a tariff. It is a rarity to be able to assign one root cause to an obviously complex matter so it would be a stretch, IMO, to choose a tariff as the solution to bring these products back to US manufacturing.

BTW, did you know that the US only recently was superseded by China as the world's leading manufacturing country? This ended a 110-year run of the US as the world's leading manufacturing entity. Link below from 3/10/2011:

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/tags/us/china-vs-us-manufacturing-comparison

We had tariffs all the way up until the 80's, when manufacturing was still in the U.S. and long after the great depression.

Maybe I should have said light bulbs instead of incandescents. Go to any store around here and try to buy an American made one.

I'm a little sad you read my post and assumed I'm dumb and that I think companies will come running back to America if tariffs are brought back. I do think if there were tariffs and equal trade these companies wouldn't have left in the first place. That's just my opinion, though.

Congrats to China for the recent victory! Party on.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We had tariffs all the way up until the 80's, when manufacturing was still in the U.S. and long after the great depression.

Maybe I should have said light bulbs instead of incandescents. Go to any store around here and try to buy an American made one.

I'm a little sad you read my post and assumed I'm dumb and that I think companies will come running back to America if tariffs are brought back. I do think if there were tariffs and equal trade these companies wouldn't have left in the first place. That's just my opinion, though.

Congrats to China for the recent victory! Party on.

I apologize if my comment caused you to believe I thought you were dumb. That was not my intent. To clearly state my intent, I drew the conclusion that you saw tariffs as a be-all and end-all to resoving a complex matter and I was seeking further information. You have now clarified your position and I have a better understanding.

As to the China/US article, please note they have just barely nudged us out of the leadership position and it has only been recently. If you polled most of your acquaintences, most would probably say this occurred some time ago rather than just this year. Perceptions become reality in people's minds even when challenged to provide supporting facts. Personally, I'm optimistic the US could regain the primary position, particularly as energy prices push up transportation costs. A balancing fact presented in the article also shows the US to have a significant productivity advantage.

Latest posts

Top Bottom