18 Iconic Products America Doesn't Make Anymore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gl55

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just bought 2 replacement batteries for my DeWalt power tools for $51 total price with free shipping on Ebay. Both had Made In China labels on them. Or I could have gone to a big box store and bought the DeWalt batteries for $60 each plus tax for a total of around $130. It's the world we live in.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We called our last experiment with a protective tariff The Great Depression. Do you have a name in mind for your proposal?

As I consider the list, am I to understand that all of these are gone due to the lack of a protective tariff? If that is so, then I find some errors on the list. A good example would be the incandescent light bulb. I think its demise can be better attributed to misguided legislative action rather than the lack of a tariff. It is a rarity to be able to assign one root cause to an obviously complex matter so it would be a stretch, IMO, to choose a tariff as the solution to bring these products back to US manufacturing.

BTW, did you know that the US only recently was superseded by China as the world's leading manufacturing country? This ended a 110-year run of the US as the world's leading manufacturing entity. Link below from 3/10/2011:

http://www.manufacturingdigital.com/tags/us/china-vs-us-manufacturing-comparison

Thank God someone was able to come into this thread with a good understanding of tariffs and their damaging effects

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yep, I was really interested in getting a new winchester 94 to replace one that was stolen and almost **** a brick when I found that they're made over there in Japan. Nope, no thank you

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's an interesting fact that for the first 80 years the budget of the federal government was funded almost entirely from tariffs.
In 1860 tariffs provided 95% of federal revenue and the average tariff was 15%.

Another factoid courtesy of PBS.

Latest posts

Top Bottom