1895 Marlin Guide Gun questions and thoughts....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got to hit the range this afternoon with the GG I picked up this week. I love it more than I thought I would.

I did have a little problem loading at the start due to a tight loading gate but it got better with a little use. I fired about 11 rds with the 405 gr lead flat nose that I loaded up for my dad when he had his Trapdoors. Nice, it would drop a deer or pig but easy on the shoulder.

Well, I bought a box of the Hornady Leverrevolution in the 325 gr since I had read it is supposed to be as good as slice bread. I had problems with rounds not coming all the way out of the tube so they could not be elevated. I had to use a screwdriver to pull them back. It did not do it on all of them, but probably half the box. No problem dropping in one at a time. It seemed like there was not enough spring pressure to push the rds out of the tube. Has anyone had any problem like this?

The good news is that I was hitting things at 100 yds open sighted(a great thing for me since I have an eye problem), fun, kick is manageable for a light gun, short and compact, can be used for all types of game. The bad, the loading situation as described above, the lever is small for gloved hand (I had a light pair of gloves so there is no way thick gloves would work), and the fact that I will be spending more money on it LOL.

Things that I want to change is as described below (mainly talking out loud helps me justify):
1. Full length mag tube--on more round for a total of 5 rds and pleasing to the eye.
2. Better front and rear sights for ease of picking them up, sturdier, and longer sight radius.
3. XS Scout Rail. Allows the use of a scout scope which I would want in the 2-7x power (not even sure of manufacture or reticule), and I can use my Aimpoint Comp M for woods and brush.
4. Replacement safety screw. Cosmetic and it does away with the chance of accidentally bumping it at the wrong time causing a missed shot (not a problem with deer, could be a problem with pig, and not an option for dangerous game).
5. Large loop lever. Better for use with gloves. Not sure which one as there is a couple out there.
6. Bear Proof extractor. Nice not to worry about a breakage. Then again I cn get two factory Marlin 2 pc ones for the same price. Probably not needed but going to the trouble for the rest.
7. Sling. Needed for carry. Would like leather and one with loops for 5 or 6 rds.
8. Leather butt cuff. Allows for additional 5 or 6 rds to be carried on the rifle and not in a pocket.
9. Limbsaver recoil pad. The factory one is pretty good but I could feel it after 20 rds of the Leverrevolution rds. Kinda expensive but I plan on loading some serious rds for it or picking up some of the Buffalo Bore 405 grs. I hear they like to let you know they are there.
10. Rework the hg down. Take the checkering off and re-profile the hg to a narrower Winchester configuration or find a factory CBL style.
I know that is a lot of modifications but this will be a rifle/carbine that won't be going anywhere.

What do you think?:mosh:

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with ya on the short tube.I never undrestood why Marlin did that.I think the large loop was around $150.Mine was a little finicky feeding certain bullets as well.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I bought a box of the Hornady Leverrevolution in the 325 gr since I had read it is supposed to be as good as slice bread. I had problems with rounds not coming all the way out of the tube so they could not be elevated. I had to use a screwdriver to pull them back. It did not do it on all of them, but probably half the box. No problem dropping in one at a time. It seemed like there was not enough spring pressure to push the rds out of the tube. Has anyone had any problem like this?

I've had similar problems with mine with the Hornady Lever's. I read on another thread just the other day(can't find the thread now)that it has to do with the factory follower in the magazine. I guess there is an aftermarket follower you can get that works better with the LeverRevolution's. I love the lighter recoil of the Hornady's so I'm just real careful about trying to jam another round in too quickly...