1911 question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless, you are shooting really dirty ammo after 200-300 rounds it shouldn't be that dirty. Lubricants like CLP have a cleaning aspect to them. So, you might consider adding a few drops of lube every 50 rounds or so. You'll do more damage to the parts of the gun by tearing it down too frequently than keeping it lubed and letting it get dirty.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can tear it down as much as you like ( it won't hurt the parts) but it's not needed after 2-300 rounds.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keeping it clean won't hurt a thing. In fact, it usually helps some firearms because every time you clean the barrel and then fire it again, it is smoothing out the machining marks in the bore.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I reread the OP and if were my gun I'd clean it and properly lube it before shooting it the first time. It isn't a bad thing to shoot a minimum of 500 rounds through it without cleaning. Depending on the 1911 and how it was built it may need a break in period. My friend who builds custom 1911s usually asks his customers who are bringing in a new pistol to shoot 500 rounds minimum through it before he begins to do any work on it.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I read somewhere recently that you should't strip down clean a new 1911 until after about 200-300 rounds....does this sound right to anyone?

I know that Wilson recommends that you shoot about 500 rounds through it before cleaning. They come from the factory well lubed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom